It's been awhile

Discussion in 'WR Action' started by bogusman, 21 February 2018.

  1. bogusman

    bogusman Western Thunderer

    Well now all pipework fitted just have to paint and weather.

    Pete
    20200628_181121.jpg 20200628_181113.jpg
     
    Deano747, Brocp, Pencarrow and 2 others like this.
  2. bogusman

    bogusman Western Thunderer

    Just afew more shots between the standard hornby horse box and the modified one. I must admit the shawplan glazing does lift the model and is well worth doing now need to weather. I have learnt some lessons on this one so hopefully the next one will be easier.
    P.S sorry about the dust on the model only just noticed it

    Pete
    20200629_191155.jpg 20200629_191232.jpg 20200629_191333.jpg
     
    Deano747, Peter Cross and AJC like this.
  3. bogusman

    bogusman Western Thunderer

    Made up the weathering concoction today and sprayed the horse box. The photos find before and after. Had some left over so sprayed the Toad.

    Pete
    20200630_132003.jpg 20200630_132124.jpg 20200630_132218.jpg
     
    Deano747, mswjr, Dan Randall and 5 others like this.
  4. bogusman

    bogusman Western Thunderer

    Today I have been spraying some GWR loco coal wagons I made earlier. Will post pics when they are lettered. Now on the work bench is the kit below. Should be fun.

    Pete
    20200701_161519.jpg 20200701_161532.jpg 20200701_161535.jpg
     
    Deano747 and AJC like this.
  5. bogusman

    bogusman Western Thunderer

    Thought I would make a start on replacing the handles. I think it is a improvement from the moulded ones

    Pete
    20200701_192424.jpg
     
    Phil O, Deano747, paulc and 1 other person like this.
  6. bogusman

    bogusman Western Thunderer

    Comparison between modified side and one as supplied.

    Pete
    20200702_180921.jpg
     
  7. bogusman

    bogusman Western Thunderer

    Have been thinking about the instructions stating to build the body first before starting the chassis making sure you have at least a 0.012" step in the floor so the chassis fits in the rebate. What I have decided to do is get the chassis as far as the solebars and then build the body around it so I will have the correct distance. Progess so far

    Pete
     

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: 3 July 2020 at 21:43
    Deano747 likes this.
  8. bogusman

    bogusman Western Thunderer

    Pushed the rivets out on both solebars but only folded one up today. The only way to describe making the J hangers is metal origami. I will say the instructions so far are excellent.

    Pete
    20200704_163347.jpg
     
    Deano747, Phil O and AJC like this.
  9. bogusman

    bogusman Western Thunderer

    An absolute delight building this underframe, everything locates first time, the half etch lines are spot on and fold with the minimum of effort and the half dimples for the rivets push out nice and crisp. This is a kit though where you have to read the instructions carefully as it is quite intense on the procedure at each stage. Progress photo's below.

    Pete
    20200705_161253.jpg 20200705_161312.jpg
     
  10. bogusman

    bogusman Western Thunderer

    Futher progress today,the W irons were made. One slight issue with the pinpoint bearings not a fault of the kit I hasten to add. When the wheels were fitted the axles were very loose in the bearings. So unsoldered the bearings and packed out with 9BA washer each side. Perfect!!! In the artical in MRJ 76 the builder found a large gap between the J hanger and spring. I found if you level the leaf springs there is no large gap (a gap is required one end due to rocking W iron). Glued on spring/axlebox casting and tried it on a length of track. Removed W irons and now starting on the footboard posts.

    Pete
    20200706_160809.jpg 20200706_190358.jpg
     
    Peter Cross, Deano747 and AJC like this.