Marchford Creek

Discussion in 'Entries' started by Bullhead, 7 February 2018.

  1. Bullhead

    Bullhead Western Thunderer

    I’m very pleased to report that track painting is complete! It seemed to take forever but in truth, I have not had very much modelling time available over the last few weeks.

    Here are the results…
    After stage 1…

    Stage 2…


    And stage 3, the all-important brown wash and a rub over of the rail tops. I’m quite pleased with the results achieved. The next major task is ballasting.


    Just started. A long way to go! The ballast here is from Green scene. I’ve collected a number of different colours and textures from various sources to allow for some variation.

    In between painting rails, I’ve been working on one or two sub-projects such as this sign.


    It consists of an etch from MSE (Wizard models) soldered to a length of rail with 0.3mm wire to represent bolts. Characteristically, the SR has made use of their predecessor’s signage by repainting to obscure the L,& and W characters. In such a sleepy backwater as this, nearing the end of its days, nobody has considered a BR replacement.
    mpr-s4, Brocp, NHY 581 and 5 others like this.
  2. NHY 581

    NHY 581 Western Thunderer

    Lovely job on the sign. I use the same zort of thing from Roger Smith.

    Devil to paint but very rewarding.

    Rob 20191006_082753-01.jpeg 20180414_082003-01.jpeg
    mpr-s4, Bullhead, chrisb and 5 others like this.
  3. Bullhead

    Bullhead Western Thunderer

    Hello All,

    Here is the latest update from Marchford Creek. Ballasting is done! It seemed to take forever but eventually was completed. I found it more effective to add the dry ballast to wet glue rather than the other way round. PVA was slightly diluted and a tiny drop of washing up liquid added. The mixture needs to be thick enough to stay where it is put but thin enough to allow rapid wetting of the ballast particles. Dispensing the ballast from the corner of a small plastic box by tapping lightly gave controllable and precise placement and minimised wastage.

    Ballast complete!

    And after painting.

    Having reached this significant milestone, I couldn’t resist setting the layout up with buildings and the various additions I’ve been working on for a few pictures.













    These pictures have proved useful in setting out a (long) list of improvements and further tasks. Near the top of the list is vegetation so work has started on learning to use static grass. First attempts were promising but not worthy of recording in these pages. Look out for updates soon!.

    Attached Files:

    mpr-s4, spikey faz, Brocp and 9 others like this.
  4. Bullhead

    Bullhead Western Thunderer

    Hi all,

    Not a lot of progress has been made recently, but I am working on a number of small detail projects, which can be fitted in to short bursts of free time. One such is this platform luggage trolley. It is a LSWR type constructed from a Southwark Bridge models kit from Roxey Mouldings. It seemed reasonable that such an item might be found lying around at Marchford Creek in my chosen timeframe.

    The kit contains etches to make two trolleys. The etching is very sharp which is essential with parts so small. In all, 15 components go together to make up the unit. The wheels consist of three layers soldered together and the blocks supporting the axle are each laminated from two parts. These can be tinned on the fret and then jigged on a suitably sized lightly oiled wire. Other parts were carefully tinned before being jigged on thick card using dressmakers’ pins for location. It is fortunate that some spares are included on the fret as a couple of bits pinged off into the distance before they could be secured!

    Altogether, a very fiddly but rewarding kit.




    Alan, Tim Dubya, Peter Cross and 13 others like this.
  5. Bullhead

    Bullhead Western Thunderer

    Hello All,

    More miniature mayhem has been going on at Marchford Creek over the last couple of weeks. From an early stage, I’d intended to include some sort of diesel refuelling paraphernalia. This was to take the form of a rectangular steel tank supported on a rickety pile of discarded sleepers. When I mocked this up on the layout, it just looked too big so further thought was applied.

    I settled on the idea that diesel loco refuelling would be accomplished using a hand operated rotary pump to transfer fuel from 45 Gallon steel drums. After consulting some information on the pumps, I had an idea how to scratch build one.

    First, I cut a piece of 3.2mm o/d brass tube for the pump body and drilled an off-centre hole to take 0.8mm brass wire for the vertical tube and the outlet.

    Next, some 0.4mm wire was bent to shape to form the operating handle, leaving the spindle over length. The pump body and tube assembly was taped to a well-used offcut of ply. A 0.4mm hole was drilled in the ply at the centre of the pump body to receive the over-length spindle.

    The centre section was filled with solder to complete construction.

    After shaping and trimming the pipes and removing the excess spindle length, the unit was complete.

    Pump body and handle were painted a red oxide shade and the tube was finished with some Railmatch oily steel somewhat dirtied. The smallest size of heat shrink tube I could find in my stock was pressed into service for a hose. Some thin brass wire was inserted before shrinking to facilitate bending the finished hose to shape.

    When deployed on a Ratio plastic drum, the pump unit looked much too large. A quick measure showed the drum to be significantly under scale for a standard 45 Gal unit, which should scale at 12.3mm high and 7.5mm diameter in 4mm scale.

    These steel drums were, and still are, manufactured in a variety of sizes so there is nothing necessarily wrong with the kit offering. I will need to source or make suitably sized models for the 45 Gal version.