While I still have various other builds on, around and under the bench that ought to be taking my attention, sometimes I need to refresh my brain with something different. This time it's four Slater's Maunsell coaches, built in the 1930s, and running towards the end of the 1950s, or into the 1960s. The coaches have been given the etched brass bogie kits, and will run on S7 wheelsets. There are one or two questions that have arisen, chiefly regarding coupling options and interior finishes - oh, and whether or not to shift the lavatory windows to suit vehicles that were refurbished in the 1950s, let alone whether we should have a mix of Pullman and British Standard gangways… Anyway, as I've got a shed-load of bogies to get through, this is where I've made my start. As I like to build one kit most of the way to completion to familiarise myself with the construction and pitfalls, I've kicked things off with a six-compartment brake corridor composite. I haven't illustrated the component parts of the first set of bogies. I shall try to remember that for the next batch later on. Let's just say the etched kit is comprehensive and a mite fiddly. Realising I would have several sets of bolsters to assemble, which involves a folded etch channel and two hefty lost wax brass castings, I made myself an ad hoc jig to aid holding the bits together while applying heat to them. Due to the suspension pegs it's not possible to lay the assemblage flat on the deck, so I made up this set of brass sheet bits and bobs. I've stuck the channel in place so you can sort of see how it works. Two bits of scrap material are soldered to the jig, between which the channel sits. The scraps support the castings, which are also high enough that the cast crosspieces rest on the fire brick. The castings need a gentle fettle to be a tight fit in the channel. Tinned, and so assembled, with luck and the gas torch, things are joined. Always remembering to leave things for a while to cool off, this is the result. Making little jigs for things is a habit I need to get into. Meanwhile, some cursing and swearing later, the main bogie frames have been assembled. The basic outer frame first needs a lot of rivets pushed out. Then the horncheeks are folded down - half-etched fold line to the OUTSIDE, for a change - and soldered in place. Some filing to clean things up, and fumbled folding to make up the basic frame, it all remained reasonably square. I was surprised. After most of a day - being unfamiliar with the kit and its construction, I expected this - I have the various cross members to fit, and then a whole Fairisle sweater of brake rigging. I fully expect each pair of bogies to occupy me for most of two days. Oh, what fun! More soon. Must get some packing sorted out for a trip west for the day tomorrow.