Phil's GW coach bodging

Discussion in 'Workbenches, including workshop techniques.' started by Phil O, 1 January 2019.

  1. Phil O

    Phil O Member

    Hi All

    I have got around to starting to build Plymouth Area Auto Trailers Diag Q & R, these trailers are gangwayed together and so ran as a pair, there are several other diagrams, but these were the most numerous.

    The Etches have come from Worsley Works. Great Western Railway - 4mm Scale GWR Coaches - GWR Locomotives

    Diag Q.JPG

    Diag Q etch

    Diag R.JPG

    Diag R etch

    Sorry I don't have a photo of the revised end etches for the gangway end of these coaches.

    The first thing you will notice is that the floor end has square ends rather than forming an elongated hexagon.

    My next post will show what I did, but it's now pub O'clock and I'm off for my first pint of the year.

    Phil
     
  2. Phil O

    Phil O Member

    I scanned the drawing in the John Lewis book Great Western Auto Trailers and imported into Inkscape, I Then started another layer and drew a rectangle to the correct dimensions having checked the width of the floor etch and the drawing dimension and locked it, I then resized the scan to fit the rectangle and locked that. I marked the longitudinal Centre line on it in a new layer and added the line across the two corners of the outer end and printed it off. Using a pair of compasses I transferred the dimensions of the three components that make up the extension to the floor rectangle to to a sticky label, cut it out and stuck it on a piece of fret waste and cut it out. I then cut out the body end and folded it to suit the piece of floor and offered it up. At this point a lot of swearing ensued as the folded end did not reach the edge, I checked the dimension of my piece of floor, spot on to the etched floor and the drawing dimension, so I got me adjustable spanner, Boilermakers term for Vernier Callipers and measured the etched end and low it's 1mm narrower, "sh1t" no allowance has been made for folding the end. After an adjournment to the pub for some liquid deliberation, I decided I could live with the discrepancy and so upon return I marked the centreline down the floor on both sides and clamped a steel rule to the etch along the centreline and using dividers set to half the new floor width and scribed the line, repeat for the other half and filed the floor to the new width and amended the end extension, "Great", used that to create the other one. Using a bit more fret waste, I produced the buffer beam.

    Auto 3.jpg

    Note this picture is only a quick knock up for demonstration purposes and not what was fitted.

    The two floor extensions were added to the original floor etch and a butt-strap added, I now cut out the gangwayed end and offered it up, more swearing ensued the "flat" portion of this end is slightly wider to facilitate the gangway. A further visit to the pub too cool down and reflect.
     
  3. Phil O

    Phil O Member

    OK, the floor is now sorted.

    Auto 1.jpg

    Auto 1.jpg

    The ends marked to remind me which is which!

    And the underside.

    Auto 1.jpg

    My thoughts then turned to the underpinnings, I had a talk with David Geen at a show and he agreed to provide me with underframe bits and bogies from his auto trailer kit, sadly this resource is no longer an option, due to David's retirement. Thoughts also turned to compartment bulkheads and I acquired a sheet of 10 thou brass from Eileens Emporium. Thoughts also turned to other details, I noted that the steps and other odds and sods were available from the Dart Castings

    Dart Castings - DK1

    I sent an email to Dart Castings with regard to getting an additional etch for the set of steps, this was rewarded with a positive response FOC. if I bought two kits together. whilst I was at it I also ordered the Dean brake gear

    Dart Castings - 3909

    More later.
     

    Attached Files: