Simon's workbench

Discussion in 'WR Action' started by Simon, 28 December 2010.

  1. Simon

    Simon Flying Squad

    Roof not yet dirtied, tie bars not yet added, but couldn't resist a shot in the sunshine earlier this afternoon.


    That'll do me:)
  2. Simon

    Simon Flying Squad

    And in other news, I have got the over centre spring mechanism on the second yard turnout attached to the timbering and functioning correctly.

    Next step will be the lever, I will make this one straight rather than cranked.

    Wagonman, Len Cattley, jonte and 8 others like this.
  3. Simon

    Simon Flying Squad

    And stuttering progress on the Southern ply van now sees it sporting brake levers and a guide on one side.

    Len Cattley, Rob Pulham, Neil and 8 others like this.
  4. Simon

    Simon Flying Squad

    The van has stuttered past the finishing line, apart from vacuum pipes which I am still pondering.


    I am contemplating a quick blast of red oxide in the greenhouse before nightfall….
  5. Simon

    Simon Flying Squad

    Apologies for the photo bomb - I got the van painted before sunset! Plypaint1.jpg Plypaint2.jpg Plypaint4.jpg

  6. Simon

    Simon Flying Squad

    Last night and this morning I have been "freight forwarding"…

    Southern ply van, vacuum pipes fitted, underframe painted, body lettered with "Onebits" transfers. Blackboard left to be painted.


    Plastic brake van lettered:


    Brass brake van lettered:


    Toad: First weathering of chassis and ends of body:


  7. Simon

    Simon Flying Squad

    I have sealed all the transfers with Johnsons Klear, and am now summoning up the courage to further weather the "Toad"…

    In the meantime, and in the spirit of trying to move on some of my older projects, I have tonight been cutting and shutting one of John Dale's brilliant wagon underframe etches to provide a chassis for my Liskeard, Looe & Caradon composite coach for which I cast some springs four years ago:confused:

    Here are the results with the coach and a few other bits that I have collected for it.


    It is a bit of a waste to carve up John's brilliant design (one of which sits under my GW 2 plank wagon) but this was the quickest way I could see of getting a credible chassis under this model and I will also use various parts of the etch on other projects - in fact a brake lever from it is earmarked for the Accucraft "Camerton" wagon that I bought sat the AGM in 2016.

    I'm sure the master will forgive me:p