Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Layout Progress' started by matto21, 23 July 2017.
You may have a point.... maybe next time!
Well I am now the proud owner of a 1:1 scale baby! Funnily enough, after I've done all my supporting/cleaning/washing/ helping etc etc I have found myself with some time while mother and baby are asleep.
I've managed to crack on with a project to build some 16t minerals "on the cheap".
I was surfing online a while back and I came across unpainted mineral wagon bodies from Dapol so I bought a couple.
I happened to have the underframe parts from a Parkside kit - the body parts were involved in an unfortunate accident several years ago involving spilt glue!
Although the body is sold as being for a 10ft chassis and the kit is 9ft, I thought I'd have a go at combining the two.
In my humble opinion, it's worked quite well so long as you can ignore the obvious difference in length (I can although I appreciate not everyone could).
For a grand total of £1.50 I think it's been worthwhile. Not having the undeframe parts and having to buy a Parkside chassis would bump the price up depending on where you shop, but it'd still be cheaper than a kit!
It's a bit of a bodge but it'll do for me!
What - the baby?
Congratulations, get all the sleep you can!
Haha! The baby is perfect, unlike my modelling!
I've been putting off and off actually laying track for a variety of reasons, mainly to do with my lack of electrics understanding. I thought it was about time I started mapping this thing out on some lining paper.
I think it's dawning on me how small this thing is!
I think those Dapol mineral wagon bodies were originally the Hornby Dublo plastic bodied 16t mineral from 1958! Dapol bought the tools from Wrenn.
I think you might be right. The body moulding still holds up well in my opinion!
Right, I did term this a micro layout - check out the run round loop! Believe it or not I can run around a single Mk 1 coach with a Type 2 loco which was always going to be the maximum loco hauled passenger train length.
Another boring post... sorry!
Think I've got everything mapped out as I want it. It's taken a lot of juggling to get everything where it should be despite the simplicity due to the small space.
Mocked up using flex track:
And a Google-earth type photo for context with the backscene: