TFW’s workshop

Discussion in '2mm Lounge' started by Tim Watson, 11 November 2017.

  1. Tim Watson

    Tim Watson Active Member

    I haven’t clocked the hours on this one David. The boiler was made (turned and silver soldered) in February 2011. Work didn’t really start, however, until October 2015 when I took partial retirement. It has basically been worked on in the winter months since then.

    The rest of my spare/modelling time is working on CF projects, but also over the summer months a Morgan and 1/3rd scale Burrell Scenic Showmans. I’ll post some pictures of these if interested.

    Tim
     
    David Varley and Kylestrome like this.
  2. Tim Watson

    Tim Watson Active Member

    I turned up the whistle from my first wife’s original engagement ring. The feed pipe is 0.3mm diameter
    [​IMG]

    After removing from the collet, the vertical mouth was gashed in with a slitting file.
    [​IMG]

    Finally the whistle was Araldited into the smoke box. There will be a little bit of clean-up of the adhesive needed after it has set.
    [​IMG]

    Tim
     
  3. Tim Watson

    Tim Watson Active Member

    The whistle now cleaned up and looks better without a clag of Araldite.
    [​IMG]

    I also made the Flaman speedometer bracket and drive this evening. The A frame was made from nickel silver strip and a piece of brass tube: the whole assembly was silver soldered for strength and to make it easy to attach to the running plate with soft solder. The drive shaft is 0.3mm pivot steel, located in the ashpan support and also under the cab. It gives a good deal of stiffness to the assembly.
    [​IMG]

    Afraid I bottled out of putting the return crank on the rear crank pin. The ashpan linkage is next - that will be a bit tricky to insinuate around the speedometer drive.

    Tim
     
  4. simond

    simond Western Thunderer

    Tim,

    Apologies if this has been discussed earlier, but what do you use to aid your vision? Big magnifier, loupe, headband goggles? Or are you lucky enough not to need artificial aids?

    Thanks
    Simon
     
  5. Tim Watson

    Tim Watson Active Member

    Twenty years ago I could make 2mm scale models without loupes, Simon. For many years I have used surgical telescopes. The set that I use currently are 2.8 magnification, are about ten years old and made by a Finnish company, Merident Optergo. They have very flat and linear optics, are adjustable for working range, can be flipped up out of the way and are much enhanced by the co-axial LED light. A good set of surgical telescopes and LED light will cost well north of £1K, often nearer £2K - especially for loupes that are mounted through the lenses (these give a larger field of view, but cannot be moved out of the way).
    [​IMG]
    There are however many cheap (Chinese) copies available on the internet, some of which might be quite good. My students often buy them and indeed a couple have set up businesses importing them.

    Tim
     
    Len Cattley and jamiepage like this.
  6. simond

    simond Western Thunderer

    Thanks Tim,

    very informative - I'm guessing that around 2.5 mag and 400+ mm working distance is probably the target?

    but equally, the £30 ones on ebay don't cut the mustard then...?

    If your students are able to point out, or indeed supply, the better ones, that would be very welcome! I've pretty much recovered from a cataract op and, whilst things are much better, I don't think I have the vision I had ten years back, and as the nice lady says, "every little helps".

    thanks again
    Simon
     
  7. Tim Watson

    Tim Watson Active Member

    I thought that the ashpan linkage would be simpler if it was made out of a single piece of nickel silver, so I bent up a strip of 20thou nickel silver. The bend needed annealing to prevent work hardening and fracture.
    [​IMG]

    Inside this shape was a linkage trying to get out after some filing. It’s beginning to take shape.
    [​IMG]

    After a bit more work the forked joint at he pivot was filed in to the thick N/S and the rear pivot bent into place.
    [​IMG]

    It was then bent again towards the Cartazzi extension frames to gain support at that end.
    [​IMG]

    The frames were notched to take the inward extension piece and, with it soldered both ends, it is nice and sturdy.
    [​IMG]

    It clears the speedo drive, just, which is good because otherwise the sparks would fly!
    [​IMG]

    So, six years to the day from starting, Lord President is complete and ready for the paintshops. Most of the work has been undertaken in the last two and half years and written up in the 2mm section on RM Web and more recently here. I’ll probably check it out in the next few weeks on the MRC test track and maybe start painting after the Missendon Abbey weekend. So not so many posts for a while....Hope you’ve enjoyed it, as much as I have.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Tim
     
    Last edited: 13 February 2018