Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Area 51' started by dibateg, 29 October 2011.
Three D&S, Diag 5 and 2 Diag 4 and a CPL GW one. Good to see you at Donny Mate.
You too, Tony.
I will need to add some of those D&S Horseboxes to a future shopping list, that said I really ought to finish the part built NER version first though...
Rain = work .. for me, so after quite a break..
I 'm now on the two Diagram 4s. The kits are ok - but could do with some more detail level added. I've ended up scratching up a lot more than I'd like. The bottom hinges of the top doors, the top locking strap, the addition al strip below the roofline, interior partition, top door hinges. I ended up grinding off the bolts off the top hinges and then drilling out all the top door hinges and using 0.7mm wire to represent the bolts. I've also added the bottom door bump strips fro 'U' channel. Coach door handles are from Sidelines.
Now to get the roofs on..
The forecast of rain kept me inside, although we just had a quick heavy squall for about 10 minutes in the afternoon... So the Diagram 4s bodies are nearly finished, the roofs have to be seriously trimmed to fit. They come very close to the extra battens added around the tops of the sides with virtually no overhang.
My client was dissatisfied with the etched brakes ( as was I ) and I spent quite a time coming up with schemes to beef them up. After various enquiries, I came up with these excellent items from Ragstone. They are not quite right for these vehicles, but with a little file work - they've been re-shaped. I've snipped off the etched brakes and can mount the cast ones on the hangers..
And a rainy ( well, mizzly ) Friday sees the brake gear assembled on the two Diag 4 underframes. Points of note - I had to drill the holes on the spring mounts, scratch up clevises , beef up and put pins in the link arm between the two V's and add the safety loops. The cross shaft crank was also scratched up.
I'm on a push to get these done now, and the extra parts I need are trickling in. Enhancements include Ambis brake guards, Slaters vac pipes, Sidelines alarm gear and vents. Label clips from Hobby Holidays. Only one set of buffers in the three were right for BR period - so some from the stock box and more coming from Slaters. Ragstone steam pipes.
I've been mulling over the spring mechanics for the drop down door. The etched plate in the kit is probably fine in 4mm but in 7mm looks awful. After a look through Geoff Kent's wagons books, the brass box, the spares drawers I finally hit on scratching them up from two pieces of brass angle. Once soldered on the holes can be drilled through and pins added to represent the bolts. Removed example nearby...
I think at last we are there with these horseboxes... Reworked alarm gear, door springs and label clips. One more to do!
Very nice, one can't have too many horseboxes....
A visit to the North East to cycle old railways saw the horseboxes dropped off with Paul Moore and the 40 and 10001 collected. There are just remaining details to add to finish 10001. I think the cab door handrails were designed to be just butt jointed to the body. Thats no where near robust enough and I've seen other models off the twins with them all missing. So they all had to be drilled 0.4mm and pinned with brass wire. So a 0.5mm holes was drilled in the body for the first mounting, then a temporary pin fitted to align the handrail, then the second hole drilled thro' the hole at the other end. The handle is then removed and the wire soldered to the holes in the handrail away from the model. Cleaned up and then glued in with Loctite 480. It's always delicate working on a finished model and I didn't want to spoil Pauls excellent paint job.
I'm stuck on how to make the light lenses - I have some 1.6mm clear rod, but it's too flexible to be turned down. The holes are 1.4mm, any ideas anyone?
You could try using ‘Glue n Glaze’ those holes are small enough for it to bridge and it dries clear.
Hope you are OK!
How about using tiny LED's - just the lens bit....
Thanks chaps - I appreciate the advice. I went down the modelling route using Glue and Glaze.
I'm fine Tim -
I just seem to be trying to tit a lot of things in at the moment.
You’ll go blind doing that Tony
More Mr Magoo than I already am.... must try and keep my mind on the job so to speak!
and just passing through for some weathering:-
10001 is now in service on Curzon Street - except its the wrong way round and we should have put the driver at the front!
Way back in January there was a discussion about the number of live steam feeds from the steam fountain to the injectors... and at that time I could not find a reasonable photo of a GWR Exhaust Steam Injector as fitted to a wide range of express and heavy freight engines (built at Swindon). I visited Didcot a few weeks back and took the following photos to show an exhaust steam injector as fitted to engine no. 3822 (a 2-8-0 freight locomotive).
All photos my copyright - retained.
I replied at the time of your question to the effect that the front and rear flanges/bolts could not be seen as those fastenings were hidden by cover plates. A trip to Didcot earlier this summer has enabled me to include some suitable photos.
In this photo you can see the gap between the front face of the cylinder block and the cover plate... plus the bolt holes in the front flange.
This photo is the rear face of the cylinder block shown in the photo above. Here the cover plate has been removed albeit there is the remains of a 1/4" BSW bolt in the vertical face of the rear flange.
This cylinder block is sans loco... and offers an opportunity to see the joint between the two halves of a Churchward-style cylinder block. Also visible are the threaded holes, on the vertical face of the bolting flanges, for the bolts which retained the cover plates.
All photos my copyright - retained.