Dog Star

Western Thunderer
A very nice photo of the stock.... how many "pundits" would believe the standard of trackwork if replicated in a model? Just look at the arrangement of joints - can anyone pick out two rail joints which occur between the same pair of ties?

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Nope, they're weeny:
Diddy66.jpg

It's not until you see a photo of them next to North American equipment, or are lucky enough to get up close and personal with an American loco, that you realise just how small they are. I can remember when I managed to get in the cab of an F40 a few years ago and the bottom of the drivers door seemed an awfully long way up from the ground!

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
A very nice photo of the stock.... how many "pundits" would believe the standard of trackwork if replicated in a model? Just look at the arrangement of joints - can anyone pick out two rail joints which occur between the same pair of ties?
It wouldn't do for a UK model, but staggered joints are still fairly common in the US and Canada, I don't know why they still do that and we don't - lower speeds perhaps? Look how many welds are in the rail closest to the camera!

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Yep, they are tiny, even the HO model compared with a US SD40. I have a Mehano Cl 66 to 'do up' as an EWS version to run with my Canadian locos as if on test. Dark Side... :cool: surely we're talking Outer Space.....:eek:

The track to the right looks like a low speed passing loop or even a siding.

I've timed BNSF Double-Stacked freights crossing the high desert in Arizona (double tracked, concrete sleepers) on the lower Transcon at an easy 70 mph, impressive when they were all approx 1.4 miles long too.

Best, Pete.