Prototype 9f detail photos

markjj

Western Thunderer
With the pending MOK 9f kit getting closer it would be nice if we could start a 9f detail thread.. If this is out of place here then moderators please feel free to move or delete. Anyone who has close up detail of any 9f alive or now scrapped please feel free to add you photos. Please keep them all legal though.
Mark J

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
I have a few of 92212, which was Swindon built, (sporting it's Bath Green Park shed plate) now residing at the MHR.
I will dig them out but here's one to kick off.....
I guess one has to be mindful of any changes made during preservation.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
Nice album! I only have a few of 92212, none of the LHS though.
I will have to re-size them as too large to upload :(

markjj

Western Thunderer
I think any photo of a loco in preservation has to be taken with a pinch of salt but there's very little detail photo wise available for most loco's so we will all no doubt be having to use a bit of poetic licence. Any photos are a very useful and helpful starting point whenever they were taken these are big beasts with a lot of pipework etc.
I have a lot of photos that I have saved over the years but very few that I have actually ever taken myself.
I only ever was a GWR man until a year or so ago but since my 2 favourite model kit manufactures only seem to concentrate on BR or LMS kits I'm a changed man now....
Keep them coming guys and thank you for all the help so far.

adrian

Flying Squad
and so the bromance begins.:D

However just a polite nudge because I thought this thread was about 9F details, trying to keep sort of on topic would help to keep the page count down when people are using this for a reference thread.

Thanks.

markjj

Western Thunderer
and so the bromance begins.:D

However just a polite nudge because I thought this thread was about 9F details, trying to keep sort of on topic would help to keep the page count down when people are using this for a reference thread.

Thanks.

Sorry Adrian point noted....

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Mickoo of this parish was able to provide me with a huge number of photos of "Evening Star". Although in preservation these were life savers when I was building my DJH 9F and he may be able to oblige for you.

Following are a few of my personal 9F photos which I hope may be of use. At the time I took these my interest was 12" to the ft so there's little in the way of detail. I'm assuming that you don't want photos of a rebuilt Crosti. Those of 92203 were immediately after withdrawal and purchase by David Shepherd so can be regarded as "in service" photos for all intents and purposes. I also have photos of 9Fs and tenders at Barry. Let me know if those will help too.

The black and white photos are at reduced definition. If you want any of them at full def please let me know and I can forward to you. All the photos which follow are my personal copyright.

Brian

92175.  Location and Date Unknown.  High Backlight Correction - Copy 1000 dpi.jpg

92175. Location and Date Unknown

92182.  Peterborough.  3 Oct 1964 - Copy - Copy 1000dpi.jpg

92182. Peterborough. 3 Oct 1964

92203.  Liss.  May 1970 (2).jpg

92203. Liss. May 1970

92203.  Liss.  May 1970 (5).jpg

92203. Liss. May 1970

92214.  Barry.  9 Nov 1968.jpg

92214. Barry. 9 Nov 1968

92004.  Southall Shed.  18 July 1965.  FINAL.  Personal Collection.  Photo by Brian Dale.jpg

92004. Southall Shed. 18 July 1965

92007.  Southall.  5 December 1965.  FINAL.jpg

92007. Southall. 5 December 1965

92065.  Willesden.  15 November 1964. FINAL  - Copy 1000dpi.jpg

92065. Willesden. 15 November 1964.

92087.  Southall Shed.  18 July 1965.  FINAL.  Personal Collection.  Photo by Brian Dale.jpg

92087. Southall Shed. 18 July 1965

92153.  Eastleigh Works Yard.  23 May 1965.  Personal Collection.  Final.  Photo Brian Dale.jpg

92153. Eastleigh Works Yard. 23 May 1965

92226.  Southall Shed.  2 May 1965.  Personal Collection.  Final.  Photo Brian Dale.jpg

92226. Southall Shed. 2 May 1965

92240.  Southall Shed.  18 July 1965.  FINAL.  Personal Collection.  Photo by Brian Dale.jpg

92240. Southall Shed. 18 July 1965

92241.  Southall Shed.  2 May 1965.  Personal Collection.  Final.  Photo Brian Dale.jpg

92241. Southall Shed. 2 May 1965

92006.  Swindon Works Yard.  May 1959. FINAL - Copy 1000dpi.jpg

92006. Swindon Works Yard. May 1959

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
I have edited my previous post as I managed to re-size the images to a higher resolution.

I have taken this pic from a video (So not great clarity) I took on the same day, just before the tender was removed ready for low loader transportation...

IMG_1609.jpeg

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
As the weather was nice, I popped over to Ropley sheds today. As hoped, 92212 was basking in the sunshine.
What immediately struck me is how much her paintwork has faded since I photographed her in 2012.
I think this fading lends itself to detail showing more.
She was parked in an off limits area, so I had to be accompanied by an apprentice boiler smith, who was an absolute mine of information in relation to what each valve, pipe, lever etc does. Being an old g*t, I have since forgotten!! What I do remember is that she has been 'wintered' meaning she is drained of water and water valves left open and certain fittings have stop ends removed to prevent frost damage.
This is the first time I have had a really good look over a steam loco, and what a beast!! I can feel my self slipping to conversion.....:eek:
As the apprentice had to get back to work, I had to leave the area, so didn't get all the pics I wanted (namely the tender, pony truck and some decent between the frames shots. Still, I have another 80 or so which may be worth posting.....

Fist off here are a few of the valves and fittings:
IMG_4734.jpeg

IMG_4755.jpeg

IMG_4758.jpeg

IMG_4760.jpeg

IMG_4776.jpeg

IMG_4777.jpeg

IMG_4795.jpeg

IMG_4801.jpeg

IMG_4802.jpeg

More to follow if wanted.

Last edited:

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
Here are a few more shots.
What struck me was that the locomotive was fairly clean, but check out the crud sitting inside the wheel rims and on the sand pipes.
Also, I wonder if we would accept cast wheels looking as lumpy as these ones!
Just looking back at the pics makes me feel a tad daunted by the build ahead.......

IMG_4732.jpeg

IMG_4735.jpeg

IMG_4746.jpeg

IMG_4747.jpeg

IMG_4748.jpeg

IMG_4778.jpeg

I was told this device is used to assist in blowing sown scale deposits.

IMG_4780.jpeg

IMG_4781.jpeg

IMG_4782.jpeg

IMG_4783.jpeg

IMG_4784.jpeg

More to follow......

markjj

Western Thunderer
A big Thanks Mr Grumpy there are some amazing photos that will be a great help to everyone there.
I'm sorry if I'm not thanking everyone but I'm trying to keep the chatter to a minimum incase I/we get in trouble again.
Any 9f photos are a bonus so thank you everyone please keep them coming....