Prototype A Teaser Trailer

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I've known my friend, Tim Mills, for over fifty years. We met when I became Southern Area Manager for the Main Line Steam Trust in the late 1960s, forerunner of the Main Line Steam Trust and then the GCR. Tim was the Sales Manager and is a man of huge drive and energy. He has continued his involvement with the GCR for a total of 52 years.

He has been an exceptional photographer of steam locos and as far as I've seen so far has never photographed any diesel or electric loco. I've done some restoration on quite a number of his photos which he's been presenting in displays at Loughborough. In view of my continuing interest and my involvement in model railways be recognises the potential value of his collection to those of us of a model building persuasion. He's now ceded his entire collection to me as he knows I'll be a responsible custodian and that Steph will look after the collection when I'm incapable of doing so.

Most recently, about a year ago, Tim said that he was starting to work on the earliest photos in his collection which he says are "not very good", and indeed, most were taken on a box camera. Today I received the pack of negs and I couldn't resist starting to scan a few. Most of them are stunning!

So the teaser is a list of the photos I've scanned to date. I'll not put them up on WT until I'm happy that I've improved them as far as I'm able. These are the photo descriptions so far - regrettably Tim's records of most of the loco numbers are, shall we say, minimal, but where the number is decipherable that will become part of the description:

Kings Cross 1957. (An A1)
Liverpool Street 1958. (An N7)
70006 Liverpool Street 1958.
Kings Cross July 1961 (An A3)
60104 Kings Cross 1 November 1957
60700 Kings Cross 1 November 1957
Kings Cross 31 May 1958 (An A2)
St Pancras October 1957 (A Jubilee)
Euston August 1956 (A Coronation Pacific)
Euston 15 February 1958 (A Rebuilt Royal Scot)
Waterloo 1964.(A Standard Class 5)
Victoria Last Run of Atlantic 13 April 58
Glasgow St Enoch August 1955 (An Ex MR 2P 4-4-0)
Crewe Station August 1956 (An unrebuilt Patriot)
70011 Witham 1954
Witham Down Slow April 1956 (A B17)
Witham Essex up train Easter Mon 1958 (A B17)
Witham Down Parcels 1955 (A K3)
Witham Braintree Train Waiting (Undated but probably 1956. An F5)
Braintree 1956 J17 0-6-0
Braintree Station 1956 (An F5)
Maldon Branch Service at Witham Easter Mon 1958 (An F5)
Braintree Jan 1956 (An F5)
Braintree Station 1955 (An F5)

So, that's a list which should get the juices flowing for those of us from a certain generation. Whilst the main subjects in terms of the locos are possibly of the greatest interest the infrastructure is, in many ways, of more value to us. We'll see.

Only about another 300 to go!

Brian