DCC Battery Powered DCC

simond

Western Thunderer
The 9F tender's only got 6 wheels, they're easily equalised... and as commented, split axles or even wipers, easy solution on a tender loco.

I think the idea of being able to have the DCC functionality without the track & wheel cleaning (and, though it isn't a big deal, at least indoors, track supplies, unless it's really complicated...) is really attractive.

I wonder if Zimo or ESU (or even Lenz) will pick it up and offer an integrated decoder/ receiver with bells & whistles. Of course if they don't offer an open system, much of the interoperability will be lost, which would be a shame.

Best
Simon

Mike Sheardown

Western Thunderer
I too can see the benefits of battery power and the ability to do away with all the wiring complexity and track cleaning / maintenance that using rails as a power supply entails.

However, one of the key advantages to powered rails with DCC, is that there is a method of track circuit detection built in by default, and this can be really useful if you are wanting to detect the presence of trains in a prototypical fashion, say for a track diagram, or for some form of interlocking with points / signals, or for computer control etc.

I only mention this point, as it hasn't been touched on so far, and it's use is the hinge pin of my own model railway plans ie without track detection, my own railway concept wouldn't work at all.

Hope the above is a useful addition to the discussion

Cheers

Mike

John Miller

Western Thunderer
................ I think the system for all the locos was 40MHz FM..............
............ Haven't dabbled with R/C stuff for 20 years but the 40mhz radio gear was pretty good even back then.........

I think 2.4 GHz has pretty much superceeded 40 MHz for model trains - It's far more reliable and free from interference and enclosing the antena in the brass side tanks of my Roundhouse locos appears not to affect the signal reception at all.

Horatio

There is another solution to running DCC decoders with sound etc that does not involve importing from the USA.

I have been investigating/playing with battery powered radio control for about two years now. I had a reasonably large DCC O gauge railway (now being dismantled) in the garden and the hour and a half needed to clean the track and get it ready for running was a real disincentive to do any running at all. One day I came across the Freerails.com site and the forum titled RC Control...The future...Now...if you desire. This was my introduction to radio control.

In it there is a long thread (>800 posts and 150,000 views) discussing the pros and cons of 2.4Ghz radio control equipment made by Deltang . I bought a couple of receivers (about £30 each) and a small handheld transmiter ( about £40), three Li-ion batteries and had a starter set for battery powered radio control. It worked well. As this was experimental I found it easier to put the equipment in a following van to start with. The problem was that I wanted the sound and smoother running (bemf) my DCC decoders provided.

For some time there have been manufacturers in the USA that provide radio control of a DCC decoder but each manufacturer used a frequency that, apparently, was illegal in the UK. It is good news that Tam Valley now has a product for Europe.

12 months ago there was a one-liner mention in the Trade News of the Gazette that DCC Supplies were importing a system from Denmark that allowed full radio control of a DCC decoder. It is produced by GamesonTrack . You need a GT-Xconnect box connected to the DCC command station to broadcast the signal to the loco and a GT-Xcommand receiver in the loco connected to the decoder. The GT-Xconnect is a multifunction box but programable through a PC. I needed a couple of emails to Denmark to get it working. I am no electronics wizard and for me, at least, it was not exactly plug and play.

One advantage is that the receiver in this system is continuously rated at 3 amps (5 amps surge) so well matched with my Loksound XL decoders

Below is a link to a very short video of my G1 SanCheng Black 5 running on a test track. The video was never intended for public release - I was filming as well as pushing the function buttons hence the jerky picture. It was made a few months ago and now I am moving house so this project has taken a back seat. The decoder is a SWD Loksound4 XL U-drive straight out of the box. The battery is a 4 cell in series LiFePO4 giving 13.2V. The decoder,battery and receiver are all in the tender. The speaker is basic. All the sound functions worked except the guard's whistle.

Full radio control is a 2 stage affair. The first is from the handset/controller to the command station; a facility now offered by a number of manufacturers. I found I could use both my existing Digitrax radio handset and a new Daisy 2 from Uhlenbrock as handset/controllers without problem. Additionally, I think it must be possible to use wi-fi linked to a computer running JMRI linked in turn to the command station and an iphone, tablet etc as a handset/controller.The second stage is sending the DCC signal from the command station to the loco by radio and this is the major advance, and the subject of this thread.

So there it is. Almost full control of a DCC decoder by radio. The future, here in the UK ... now !!

I know of a couple of other interesting developments in radio control. I am sure there are others.

Bluerailtrains (BlueRail Trains – Bluetooth Smart Train Control) - a US company - have developed a system based on Bluetooth technology. The advantage is that it is cheap if you already own an iphone, ipod etc as all you need is the receiver in the loco. This technology has been supported by Bachmann and some US rtr locos are available, ready fitted

Protocab (Acc+Ess Protocab) - a UK based company - are developing a system that includes transmitters, receivers and batteries. The current offering seems to be aimed at 4mm as the power rating is less than 1 amp.

Below are links to the equipment mentioned
Deltang (DT receivers-Home)
For assembled Deltang controllers (Radio Control)
GamesonTrack (GT-Xconnect and GT-Xcontrol for scale 0/1/G trains)
GamesonTrack UK supplier (Games On Track)
Digitrax radio handset (Duplex Radio Equipped Super Throttle for Europe)
Uhlenbrock Daisy 2 radio handset and UK supplier (Uhlenbrock 66350 DAISY II additional radio handset)

richard carr

Western Thunderer
I finally got to test the 37 equipped with batteries yesterday.

The loco now has a 40mm speaker attached to it. The batteries were on for about 8 hours, with the sound on most of the time. It did in the region of 25 laps of croscombe (48 feet by 25 feet) hauling between 4 and 6 coaches at various speeds from a crawl to flat out. It ran beautifully at all speeds.

The loco has 8 1000 mAh batteries powering it, when fully charged these showed 10.5 volts on a volt meter, quite a bit higher than the nominal 1.2 volts per cell which would be 9.6 volts, but that is normal in my view. I measured the voltage again this morning and it still shows 10.26 volts.
I have a ramp meter built into the DCC system (ie a volt meter designed to measure the DCC wave form) this usually shows a current draw for loco equipped with the same motor, decoder and speaker of 250 ma, so the 1000 mAh batteries should give close to 4 hours running, yesterdays test suggests that this is correct.

I will have the voltage regulator board next week to see what difference that makes.

Richard

markjj

Western Thunderer
Try contacting Mr Grumpy he has gone down the battery DCC route. He will no doubt tell me off for this but his experiences will help answer you questions.

paulc

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard,
I had radio controlled live steam in the garden for a few years, followed by a large r/c diesel shunter. I think the system for all the locos was 40MHz FM, with Futaba servos, transmitter etc.
After a couple of years of reasonably reliable running, my wife placed a bird bath in the centre of the garden and this caused loads of problems with I think what was called 'signal reflection' which made for haphazard radio control. Moved the bird bath....problem solved! Also, on one of the locos, the rotating coupling rods occasionally interfered with the signal, which meant it was more often manually controlled. When I eventually tired of running live steam, I left the track bed, thinking I would re-lay with 0 gauge. When I looked at the length of track , I couldn't face the tedious chore of cleaning before running sessions.
However, I am definately planning on returning to the garden with my kit built locos, so this possibly looks like a very exciting proposition!! Also no pick ups required... Perfect!
I fitted a jack point socket to my locos for recharging the batteries.
I have checked out the site, all looks very interesting! Do you know if there is a British dealer ?
Hello Mr Grumpy , Fosworks are in the UK and have all the gear and information you need . I believe some people are using inductive charging but that stuff goes over my head at the moment .
Cheers Paul

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
Hi guys,
I'm now using R/C by Revolution Train Engineer, with Zimo decoders. It really does work extremely well. You can even programme the decoders from the transmitter :) I think it has around 28 functions or there abouts. The signal strength is superb and the receivers fit nicely in the loco tenders, although I am using 1:20.3 scale! None of the arrears are outside of the tender.

Here's the set up in my Accucraft K 27 tender.
Zimo decoder on left, receiver on right above speaker enclosure, batteries in two banks along each side. On/off/Charge switch in water filler.

IMG_1573.jpg

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Richard,
one for you. Does the Tam Valley aerial have to be straight or can it be curled around in a tank engine bunker?
Cheers
Simon

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
9C6E2A4F-68D9-4770-9253-D18AA77C2272.jpeg Hi Richard,
Steve at Fosworks supplied the NiMH batteries, 16 1.5v in two banks of 8 which run either side of the tender.Hope this photo helps....

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Richard,
one for you. Does the Tam Valley aerial have to be straight or can it be curled around in a tank engine bunker?
Cheers
Simon

Hi SImon

Yes you can curl the aerial I have done with with all my steam locos, it is the only way to fit them in the tender.

Richard

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Richard (C)
Thanks, seems to be a perfect solution. DCC Supplies list the Tam Valley Tx and three different RX (all DRS1) without any information to work out their functionality, so it will be a phone call to them on Monday to tease out what each Rx can do/needs. The Tam Valley Dead Rails web site doesn't even mention them. I'll probably follow your path and install it in a 37 that is nearly finished as it ran in a certain valley when first built. That will also test the comaptability with ESU chips.

Now to source some battery packs and a suitable charger.

Simon

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Simon

The charger to buy is one for RC cars, there are loads on Amazon, I prefer to use NiMh AAA cells, you can also buy 12 volt regulators ie you give it anything from 5 volts to 15 and it out puts 12, I got mine from the US Pololu 12v step up regulator U3V12F12, they are about $3 each if you can't get one here I can post you one. Typically Iuse 8 AAA cells but 6 works fine too if you haven't the room for 8.

The different versions of the DRS1 are probably frequency variants, I know they do 2 one for Europe and one for US, you want the Europe one especially if you use NCE radio cabs as the Europe one is a different frequency, the US one is the same frequency and think they interfere.

Richard