Bitton Station through the years

parky

Western Thunderer
Here goes based on Simon's and my posting of pictures in excellent Brian's thread on Barry it looks like we need a thread to document Bitton station through it's years as Bristol Suburban Railway Society, Bitton Railway and latterly Avon Valley Railway

IMG_20220224_095110.jpg

I think it would be good to start with Simon's view as that is almost 10 years in front of mine, if that's alright with you Simon ?

parky

Western Thunderer
Must have been the late 80's when we re-roofed the station over the summer. A local builder who was a member at the time led the project and I and a few others laboured for him. All slates came off and new felt and battens went on with replacement slates obtained to replace the broken ones
I had done DIY with my father, but this was another level literally (I only tried to fall off once ! )

2010-12-12_85.JPG

Simon

Flying Squad
A great idea, and much respect for getting up on that roof!

My pictures are all on the work computer, I will ferret out a few images. I think my photography started with an open day in 1974, but I have quite a few taken by Brian Clarke, who got involved before I did. He even took some pictures at Frys where the Avonside came from.

Bitton is interesting, In many ways it hasn't done what any of us hoped it would and it doesn't quite conform to anyone's idea of what a preserved line ought to be, but on the other hand it has made, and still makes, a large and valuable contribution to the area it is based in, and has preserved a pleasing swathe of real estate that would otherwise have changed for the worse.

And it has trains!

parky

Western Thunderer
In the days before the yard was laid out. Littleton No5 hauling one of the Santa Specials with Peckett 'Fonmon' on shed and Avonside 'Edwin Hulse' in the dock road with it's boiler in the yard

2010-12-12_59.JPG

By then the London Midland Society had relocated from the Mid-Hants, bringing with them on the isolated track in the yard their three locos. Far left is 34058 'Sir Fredrick Pile', 4F 44123 & 3F 47324
The Jinty had significance to me as it was withdrawn at Birkenhead Mollington Street shed 20 years before my Work Experience visit to the same shed. Records also show it was in service at Edge Hill shed in 1933 when my paternal Grandfather was in one of the London links

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the most recent photo, Alan. Do you have the date of the photo? I remember Littleton No5 with some affection from its time at the GCR. It was a really powerful loco with a power output which could be equated to the BR class 5 .

Brian

parky

Western Thunderer
I moved to the area in 87 and this would be about then. A quick search says that the Oldland Common loop was officially opened in 1991 and I was fortunate to be the guard of that first public train. So Brian I would suggest 87/88

parky

Western Thunderer
A great idea, and much respect for getting up on that roof!

My pictures are all on the work computer, I will ferret out a few images. I think my photography started with an open day in 1974, but I have quite a few taken by Brian Clarke, who got involved before I did. He even took some pictures at Frys where the Avonside came from.

Bitton is interesting, In many ways it hasn't done what any of us hoped it would and it doesn't quite conform to anyone's idea of what a preserved line ought to be, but on the other hand it has made, and still makes, a large and valuable contribution to the area it is based in, and has preserved a pleasing swathe of real estate that would otherwise have changed for the worse.

And it has trains!
Yes the public enquiry was quite a setback, but we got through it on facts. The cycleway also brings it's challenges, but overall it has brought the railway many visitors and income. In return there have been a few occasions that I know of when the railway has ferried injured cyclists back up the line to a waiting ambulance

Simon

Flying Squad
This has appeared before on my workbench thread, as I was/am trying to make a 1/32 representation of Horace, but here is a very early shot from Bitton, taken by my friend Brian Clarke.

Horace Pitt with his apprentice PW engineers, who have all long since retired(!)

From memory, in background second from Horace is Nick Mettyear, the guy in the overalls might be Mark Bladwell, at extreme left I am pretty sure we have Mike Organ.

And no houses built along the top of the cutting.

Horace.jpg

Simon

parky

Western Thunderer
Wow that was early days with no track in the top cutting. I know of Mark Bladwell, but by my time he was not a regular. Mike Organ had become responsible for all the guards/shunters and put me in for my exam with Major Olver and then asked me to do the Oldland Common opening turn
Back in those days I seem to remember spending all day shunting the stock around before open days as we had no yard other than in front of the shed. The station platform was used for work on the BSK that we were converting to create a wheelchair accessible seating area in the brake area and other stores vans were also needed. All this needed swapping with the running rake so it was a full size shunting puzzle with the limited headshunt into the top cutting

A closer view of Littlelton No5 on the same service as before

2010-12-12_61 (2).JPG

SCarle

It’s the 50th anniversary (depends on what your view is on the initial setup). Simon, is it Whittington?
Alan, you haven’t replied to another contact method. I’d like to add you both to a celebration organised by the trust in April. Please send me contact details.
1646413293101.jpeg

parky

Western Thunderer
How remis of me will take a look and sort it, good to see you on here. Hope you don't mind me recounting the work you and the rest of the team are doing

SCarle

How remis of me will take a look and sort it, good to see you on here. Hope you don't mind me recounting the work you and the rest of the team are doing
I’ve been on here years tbh but not all ways paying attention like I should be.
There is a FB group on the AVR as a digital library, it’s worth you joining and no doubt contribute.
Is Kettering on your radar tomorrow?

Simon

Flying Squad
I have responded, look forward to learning more.

I was only ever a very minor bit player in the proceedings....

Simon (Castens)

SCarle

This has appeared before on my workbench thread, as I was/am trying to make a 1/32 representation of Horace, but here is a very early shot from Bitton, taken by my friend Brian Clarke.

Horace Pitt with his apprentice PW engineers, who have all long since retired(!)

From memory, in background second from Horace is Nick Mettyear, the guy in the overalls might be Mark Bladwell, at extreme left I am pretty sure we have Mike Organ.

And no houses built along the top of the cutting.

View attachment 157600

Simon
Can I use this with credit please simon

Simon

Flying Squad
Yes of course, the name to credit it to as photographer is Brian Clarke, it would probably make sense to then say from my collection in terms of accuracy to posterity etc.

Brian is still around but I haven't spoken to him for 10 years plus now, he was more involved in Bitton than I was, and earlier too.

He is contactable through Facebook I think.

Simon