Brassmasters J17 test build

Jim smith-wright

Western Thunderer
Over the last week or so Ive embarked on another test build for Brassmasters. This time a J17 kit thats been designed by David Barham. Its not really any use for Brettell Road but it would fit North Elmham (which I have been know to help out with).

J17-chassis-1.jpg
The basic chassis build with a High level Loadhauler gearbox. The loco and tender use CSBs throughout. The kit will be supplied with both printed and etched brake shoes.

tender-inner-frame.jpg
The tender subframe - Again with options on the brake shoes.

footplate-chassis.jpg
Chassis and footplate.

completed-tender-chassis-rear-end.jpg
Tender with its outer frame.

cab-1.jpg
The cab

J17-loco.jpg
Pretty much everything above the footplate and forward of the cab is catered for by a 3D print. Here I've made a start on the basic detailing

tender-3-quarter-rear.jpg
The tender body, like the loco, is a 3D print.

loco-chassis-final.jpg
The detailed up chassis

Loco-3-quarter-LHS.jpg
The finished loco - More pictures below. This has been a pleasure to put together.

Loco-3-quarter-RHS.jpg
Loco-LHS.jpg
loco-RHS.jpg
loco-and-tender-3-quater-LHS.jpg
loco-and-tender-3-quater-RHS.jpg
loco-and-tender-3-quater-rear.jpg

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
That looks superb (allowing for the modest stepping on the boiler). Among the more handsome British 0-6-0s I've always thought.

Adam

Last edited:

DavidB

Western Thunderer
Very nice, Jim. I hope that on the production kits the striations on the boiler will have been cured. At the moment, this draws the eye and looks more like the Rocket with its boiler cladding of wood strips. This is a shame on an otherwise cracking looking kit.

Jim smith-wright

Western Thunderer
Very nice, Jim. I hope that on the production kits the striations on the boiler will have been cured. At the moment, this draws the eye and looks more like the Rocket with its boiler cladding of wood strips. This is a shame on an otherwise cracking looking kit.
It looks worse in the picture because I primed the print and lightly sanded it back. The primer and print are quite close colourwise so it's given a highlighted effect that isn't actually there