Brian Daniels diesel workbench

Brian Daniels

Western Thunderer
Thought I had better start a proper workbench thread rather than bits here and there.
I would have put more pictures but it will only put up one picture at a time and I haven't got the time to do it that slow. Good start, the first thing in my "Diesel workbench" is an electric!

Anyway I bought a Peter Clark Class 419 MLV at Reading on Saturday. I have made a start but it won't get very far as I am after some more bits for it. Needless to say it will be blue and grey livery.

IMG_0594.jpg

Brian Daniels

Western Thunderer
Don't know why Jordan but in the first post I could only do one pic at a time but once the "thread" was published it went away like normal.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Jorders I think it's 8 at a time or was when Cynric set it up
Sorry for the insubordination Colonel, but when I posted pics from my local Exhibition in October last year it was 15 pics per post.
Tiffin top-up required, Sah!!! :)

D1054

Western Thunderer
Taking shape nicely, Brian. What power unit will you be using on this - traction motors?:)

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
The 'vent' was quite rare, wasn't it? Not as rare as the "ship's windscreen" - that circular thing in the screen they tried instead of an ordinary wiper! I don't think I've ever seen that modeled!! :confused: ;)

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
If it was it would tie you down to a very short time frame indeed as an experiment it failed so was quickly removed

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
The mesh on that vent is very coarse compared to the prototype, I wonder whether I wouldn't have just gone for a little texture in the vent area to hint at the mesh - some fine emery paper and a wash with dirty thinners after painting perhaps?

Just a thought...

Steph

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
The mesh on that vent is very coarse compared to the prototype, I wonder whether I wouldn't have just gone for a little texture in the vent area to hint at the mesh - some fine emery paper and a wash with dirty thinners after painting perhaps?

Just a thought...

Steph

I was thinking it looked a bit coarse myself and think that your suggestion of emery paper would probably work well in this situation.

I'm sure someone on the forum has posted pictures of a Western with a scratch built cab vent (Rob maybe?) and seem to recall it looked very good.

Regards

Dan

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
What was the vent for? I've never seen it pictured....
It was to try & improve cab ventilation. The main windscreens being quite large, in warm weather the cabs got hot. Apparently opening the side windows wasn't always the best way to let some fresh air in, when at high speed in particular.