Building an Ace Kits "K"

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Oops that did not go too well, here are the photos of the loco as promised!!!!

Roger

Stonking photos, Roger, of a stonking loco. The close ups of the front end and injector are helpful too.

I now have a shopping list as follows: cut down dome, composite gauge chimney, cut down boiler mountings all from Bill Ascough. (What loco does he make these for?)
BR safety valves and base - any idea of a supplier?
Two live steam injectors, slide bars and cross heads for H1/H2 Atlantic (what lovely locos they were too), cylinder relief valves and Drain Cocks for Z Class, all from Laurie Griffin.

Anything I've missed?

You can see that anyone offering advice will have their hands ripped off. Many thanks for all your help and plenty here to make notes about before I start removing parts from the etches.

Brian

Scanlon

Western Thunderer
Anything I've missed?

All the composite gauge fittings including safety valves etc. came from Bill A. but believe Laurie has a suitable set of safety valves plus base. Otherwise your list looks fine but you may wish to add cast front steps as shown
K class footstep 070814.jpg
My loco has the etched ones but having seen the ones LG produced wished I'd used them as they are a great improvement.

Roger

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Andy,

who are 'Albion' there is no mention of them having a stand at Telford, nor contact details on the Guild Traders lists.

cheers

Mike

demu1037

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike,

Ablbion Models kits are usually obtainable on the Roxey stand, the range includes at least:

LBSC D1 & E1 (here's one I made earlier - 20 years this year!)

108 Jersey.png

E5 & E6 (Roger's got one it looks fab, now he's learnt about pictures he might share it?)
and a Gladstone, plus any I've forgotten.

Regards

Andy

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
The Albion one will be a stunner if the other kits are anything to go by. Basic, affordable, dimensionally accurate and eminently buildable.
Steph

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Andy,

many thanks for the 'nudge' - am I correct in linking John Birch with the Albion mantle?

cheers

Mike

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Anything I've missed?

All the composite gauge fittings including safety valves etc. came from Bill A. but believe Laurie has a suitable set of safety valves plus base. Otherwise your list looks fine but you may wish to add cast front steps as shown

My loco has the etched ones but having seen the ones LG produced wished I'd used them as they are a great improvement.

Roger

Thanks again Roger. That's very helpful again, and I'm hoping my list is complete!

B

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Albion are doing one, it *might* even be ready for Telford

Andy

I'll have a word with Roxey at Telford before I start the Ace Kit - unless there's any other advice about where to go for Albion Kits.

Helpful stuff if there's an alternative.

Brian

demu1037

Western Thunderer
Hi Andy,

many thanks for the 'nudge' - am I correct in linking John Birch with the Albion mantle?

cheers

Mike
Hi Mike,

Yes, Albion is a JB, But don't get confused (and I don't mean with JA's), there are two of them - the other one did some of Ken de-Groom's - i.e. MET 4 wheelers etc.

Regards

Andy

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
oldravendale said:
I now have a shopping list as follows: cut down dome, composite gauge chimney, cut down boiler mountings all from Bill Ascough. (What loco does he make these for?)

Hi Brian

I suspect these would be for the C2x (of which I have a Meteor kit to build).

If you need replacement Westinghouse pumps then I would either suggest LG or Precision Scale.

One thing I can't remember about the K kit - does it have optional cab roofs for Brighton or SR composite loading gauges?

David

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Hi Brian

I suspect these would be for the C2x (of which I have a Meteor kit to build).

If you need replacement Westinghouse pumps then I would either suggest LG or Precision Scale.

One thing I can't remember about the K kit - does it have optional cab roofs for Brighton or SR composite loading gauges?

David

Thanks Dave.

Those are helpful thoughts.

I'm pretty sure that optional cabroofs are included but I'll double check. And yes, I'll need the Westinghouse pump for the right hand side so I'll add that to the list.

Best regards.

Brian

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Hi Brian

These diagrams may be useful if you don't have them already. Pipe arrangements for Westinghouse compressors and they are from the Model Railroader Steam Locomotives Cyclopedia. The came in useful when I was detailing my E4 and Terrier.
Single compressor pipe arrangement.jpg

Twin compressors pipe arrangement.jpg

David

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Hi Brian

On some of the detail parts I've just been reading Part 3 of my copy of D L Bradley's Locomotives of the LB&SCR and you'll require Ashford pattern injectors and Ross pop safety valves. Is it also worth trying Meteor for the cut down dome and chimney?

These pictures were taken during the building of my E4 using Laurie's LBSC cab fittings. Hopefully it'll give you an idea of LBSC cabs and how the vacuum brake fittings were later shoehorned in. I've even managed to do this in a Terrier cab. The K cab should be easier. As the vacuum brakes were retro fitted by the SR you'll have fun working the extra pipework onto the loco. BTW you'll have to make your own moisture traps for the vacuum pipe runs as I had to for the E4 and A1X. Picture attached for the latter. From what I recall I think I made this from a handrail knob and brass tube.

E4 front
E4 cab 01.jpg

E4 vacuum brake side
E4 cab 02.jpg

E4 Westinghouse brake side
E4 cab 03.jpg

A1X - the vacuum brake moisture trap can be seen below the right hand buffer.
A1X Smokebox.jpg

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thanks again David.

Just to check from an earlier post of yours, there are two cabs in the kit, the original Billinton version and the Maunsell version which is, I assume, the one carried in BR days.

There are two chimneys and on comparison with pictures it seems that the short one is OK for my late BR build but the dome is definitely wrong. I'll check with Meteor at Telford - incidentally, are you there on Saturday or Sunday?

The injectors (two live steam) proposed are for the H1/H2 from LG.

I'll get a set of LBSCR cab fittings from Laurie - thanks for the suggestion. And for the suggestion about the moisture trap.

Thanks for the photos of a super looking loco, and for the suggestions.

Best regards.

Brian

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Dad,

H1 + H2 in LBSCR days I think had hot-water injectors; you need the Ashford type as Dave suggests or a Weir pump and injector if modelling it just a touch earlier.

Check the chimneys too - some Ks had U chimneys as this was effectively the standard chimney the SR used on the cut-down Brighton locos. I think one is available from Laurie Griffin, incorrectly identified as being for an N15.

For the dome you can just take a file to the casting can't you? I seem to recall my K kit had three or maybe even four domes and certainly I think I identified one which was correct. I was rather more annoyed about lack of the Weir pump and the fact that I failed, despite numerous attempts, to get the correct style one from Scorpio...

Steph