7mm Corwen Road

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Larry,

looks good.

it’ll be easier to see when painted but are the edging flags 3 x 2’ or bigger?

thx
Simon
Thanks. They are 4' X 2' the same as at the Carrog Up platform on the Llangollen line. The Down platform has 3' long edging slabs.

Last edited:

JasonBz

Western Thunderer
The kick back siding at Ashburton served the premises of Tuckers Maltings and was chain shunted ( Engines must not enter the goods shed etc).
Indeed , for a "popular prototype" Ashburton was quite an odd sort of BLT really.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
In between building models I've been driving myself mad trying out different ID Backscenes. 'Isambard Kingdom Brunels' really excellent P4 model of Llanfyllin station pointed me in the right direction. Although I didn't know it, I had what I needed in stock, but trimming 5cm from the base of each sheet this morning removed the overpowering look...
WEB Backscene 6B.jpg

The hill makes the station look like a terminus now and resembles Llanfyllin. It will be glued up later....
WEB Backscene 6.jpg

GJB1947

In between building models I've been driving myself mad trying out different ID Backscenes. 'Isambard Kingdom Brunels' really excellent P4 model of Llanfyllin station pointed me in the right direction. Although I didn't know it, I had what I needed in stock, but trimming 5cm from the base of each sheet this morning removed the overpowering look...
View attachment 130770

The hill makes the station look like a terminus now and resembles Llanfyllin. It will be glued up later....
View attachment 130769

Hi Larry,

Could you tell me who produces these backscene sheets, please?

Gerry

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry,

Could you tell me who produces these backscene sheets, please?

Gerry
They are called I D Backscenes Jerry, and are available form various outlets. I get mine from..... Model Railway Backscenes - New Modellers Shop

Click on them to enlarge. I recommend the dearer self-adhesive vinyl ones. I never did find a way of pasting up the card backscenes without tearing or eliminating bubbles.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Three of us live within spitting distance (for Wales) of each other and we help with each others 'projects' whenever possible. So this afternoon's garden-chat (the old new-normal) sent him off home with a loco book and various 4mm items while he left me with a 7mm pressy for the layout. It's a North Eastern 20T Lowmac L built from a Connoisseur etched kit; ideal for delivering agricultural equipment to my country terminus and fodder for my newly built end-loading platform. It is doubly welcome as I would not have the patience to build one.

Question : Can someone post a photo of one with BR markings, pleeeze.....

WEB Wagon Lowmak.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry

I have one of these and had some difficulty in finding a picture with BR markings. I eventually found a photo of a model - don't remember where! - and used this as the basis for mine as shown below:
Regards.
Hi Bill, Thanks very much. It gives me everything I need to know to finish the wagon off. :thumbs:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Construction of structures in readiness for the new layout continues. The passenger platform was constructed far too long to make it easy to determine the required length visually. It has been shortened and the ramp replaced by a stub end with steps as at Llanfyllin. I am following this station more and more and a brick-built half-relief cattle platform has been built....
WEB Platform 29.jpg

The station building has been positioned further down the platform. It will be joined by a platform-mounted signal box...WEB Platform 30B.jpg

As can be seen, everything is loosely positioned. The previously intended cattle pen is now narrower and serves as an end loading platform. It has always been a dingy corner of the shed, which made Carrog look depressing in 2018. Therefore the whole set-up at this end is closer together and nearer the end backscene to allow more window light to hit the station area. There will be a shallow embankment rising up from the platform ends to the backscene and a large gate serving the end loading platform, but scenery can only be added once the track is laid & ballasted...
WEB Platform 30.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I mistakenly put the construction of the cattle pens on here instead of my WB thread. However it has now been removed to where it should be. A smaller signal box has been completed. It is a Railmodel laser cut job based on the box at Llansantfraid and was ideally suited as the basis of a platform-mounted signalbox based on Llanfyllin. Comparison with the Cambrian box I built recently...
WEB Small signal box 7.jpg

In position at the end of the platform.....
WEB Small signal box 7B.jpg

My model is a mirror version of Llanfyllin...
WEB Small signal box 7C.jpg

Flipping the image over shows what the signal box at Llanfyllin looks like
WEB Small signal box 7D.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
As more photo of Llanfyllin station come to light, I am replacing my "guesswork". The cattle pens turned out to be at the wrong end so I sawed the platform into three pieces and glued it all together again in a different order. This means I now have a side loading platform as well, so it might impact on the one I built for beside the goods shed....
WEB Cattle pen 11.jpg

paulc

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry , when you had the cattle pens next to the sgnal box my first thought was that i wouldn't want to be the poor bloke who has to work the box , it wouldn't arf pong . The layout is starting to come together , looking good .
Cheers Paul