Dapol 08

richard_t

Western Thunderer
I noticed this PDF instruction sheet on South West Digital's website yesterday, that may be of help to some, covering adjusting the wiring and other options for ESU decoders and the Dapol 08.

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
I think the switch on the pcb turns the cab light on/off, I thought it may have put the shunting lights on on DC, but I ahve been told they only work on DCC...
Also, any idea why the motor has a ground connection?
Mine is probably going to be modified to remove the door straps and leave only 2 lights at each end, and I will proabably then hard wire the lights into an ESU decoder

TheSnapper

Western Thunderer
If anyone is interested, this is my 08 fitted with a Zimo644 which I purchased directly from Paul Chetter (soundsloco@btinternet.com) and a Cube speaker, which I may change. .

08_decoder (Medium).jpg

All the lights work - just Plug 'n Play!

08_lights (Medium).jpg

Disclaimer (aagain): I have no commercial interest in SoundsLoco whatsoever, just a happy customer. Thanks Paul!

Tim

Is the red light a white/red bi-colour LED?

That would be nice, and the decoder has enough 'open collector' Function Outputs to operate them individually, but sadly not.

What can we reasonably expect for £200?

Anyway, it leaves a bit of 'modelling' for us to tackle. LOL

Kind regards,

Paul

geoff_nicholls

Western Thunderer
i received mine (D3045 in blue) and tested it on the club track yesterday. It ran beautifully. Is anyone else thinking about a conversion to EWS red?
Were there any 08's in EWS red with the long bonnet hinges? (apart from the cut-down ones)

Western Thunderer
i received mine (D3045 in blue) and tested it on the club track yesterday. It ran beautifully. Is anyone else thinking about a conversion to EWS red?
Were there any 08's in EWS red with the long bonnet hinges? (apart from the cut-down ones)

Im happy to be proved wrong , but i dont think any others with the external hinge strapping survived long enough to get EWS livery. Im thinking mid 80s they fizzled out? It would be interesting to know what the longest survivors were.

Jon

hrmspaul

Western Thunderer
Im happy to be proved wrong , but i dont think any others with the external hinge strapping survived long enough to get EWS livery. Im thinking mid 80s they fizzled out? It would be interesting to know what the longest survivors were.

Jon
Some remained in industrial use into the 1990s
Sheerness Steel 2 Class 08 and 09 BR Shunters , industrials | 2 and 1 Class 08 and 09 BR Shunters , industrials | 1 = 08133 [1] Class 08 and 09 BR Shunters , industrials | 08216
Middlesborough goods Class 08 and 09 BR Shunters , industrials | 08 Private
Powell Duffryn Coal Prep Class 08 and 09 BR Shunters , industrials | 08113 [3]

Paul

InvernessTMD

Western Thunderer
hmm, I was hoping to do mine as an Ipswich based loco but industrial would work if it saves hacking the body about... But then the crazy in me has an idea of marrying an MMP body to the Dapol chassis...