Digital Noises

Simon

Flying Squad
I managed a full 25 minutes of playing this morning before coming to the shop. Although the video quality is rubbish, I have uploaded three little movies from my activities.

The best is this one I think:

One of the other videos shows the loco accelerating far too quickly:oops:

In summary so far, I think the sound adds a huge amount to the fun and "realism" available on what is currently a fearfully simple set up. I am very much a "beginner" and there is lots more to learn, in addition to scope for more functions on the DCC side of things. I have also "acquired" in this package the whole inertia/realistic control business, which is completely new for me. One thing that impresses me is the way in which (I think) the system detects the slight uphill/downhill gradients on my line and adds/removes from the rate of decelleration when coasting accordingly.

Very clever stuff and well worth the investment so far - huge extra enjoyment to be had I think:D

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
Nice. I like the handy stand in the background :cool:
The handy stand seen in the background is indeed a very handy stand.

The block of balsa with holes in it has been served notice and more files will shortly be handily available on this very convenient stand, ie the one that can be seen in the background, which is as handy as handy stands can be:thumbs:

I obviously have no connection with the Acme laser cut stand company, other than that of being a highly satisfied customer.

Simon

S

Simon Dunkley

One thing that impresses me is the way in which (I think) the system detects the slight uphill/downhill gradients on my line and adds/removes from the rate of decelleration when coasting accordingly.
There is a back-emf function in the decoder, which will regulate the speed. Not sure about changing the acceleration/decelleration rates - that may be due to the natural inertia in G1!

Neil

Western Thunderer
Very good; was that the driver I heard chortling at 0:30? It's weird but the sound reminds me very much of a 185. Obviously quite tuneful, but not a patch on one of these.

Simon

Flying Squad
Very good; was that the driver I heard chortling at 0:30? It's weird but the sound reminds me very much of a 185. Obviously quite tuneful, but not a patch on one of these.

Yes, that was me chuckling because the loco ran onto a dead section and "ran out of sound" while still moving, very prototypical....

Is the 185 similar because its a diesel hydraulic perhaps? Soundwise I agree with you, nothing quite as good as the Sulzer rats, only problem in G1 is that the sound is available but the loco isn't. And of course I'd have to attempt the Hymek if I were ever to try and create a dieselly thing, after the 122 etc etc.

I watched the Branch Line DVD "Memories of the Banstaple Torrington & Halwill Junction Lines" last night, some good footage of both North British locos and the Class 25s - marvellous!

Oh look, it's time to put the kettle on:)

Simon

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Love the DCC sound Simon :D:cool:.........what DCC controller did you end up using for you line ?

Liked the other clips on your Youtube too :).........the on board ones with the 03 & 22 on the mixed freight looked great :thumbs:.....will be even better when your loop is completed ;)

Phill :)

Simon

Flying Squad
Love the DCC sound Simon :D:cool:.........what DCC controller did you end up using for you line ?

Liked the other clips on your Youtube too :).........the on board ones with the 03 & 22 on the mixed freight looked great :thumbs:.....will be even better when your loop is completed ;)

Phill :)

Hi Phill

Thanks for the comments.

My DCC controller is the ROCO Multimaus as suggested by Steph, an afforable and easy to use unit (it has a knob with a centre off position) which seems pretty well regarded by those "in the know". I bought it from Germany via e-bay.

The system will also (I think) shortly offer a "legal" wireless option, which I will definitely want to use as I wander around the garden, drink in hand....

Simon

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Cheers Simon :)..........heard good things about the Roco Multimaus too, but I think it lacks the oomph I would need for Heljans :(

Simon

Flying Squad
Cheers Simon :)..........heard good things about the Roco Multimaus too, but I think it lacks the oomph I would need for Heljans :(

I wouldn't necessarily rule the Multimaus out, D6319 has got a pre-historic Pitman in it that draws about an amp and it all seems OK so far, and you can get boosters.

All that said it looks very insubstantial, we need someone who knows whay they are talking about:))

I reckon I'll get some running in today and I might try and repair my electrical bonding failure too:thumbs:

Simon

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer

Phil,

As a handset it's wonderful - if you need more power than the 2.5A provided by the standard Multimaus command station then it can be plugged into a Lenz system; you end up with a system that's somewhere between what the LH90 and LH100 offer in terms of facilities, but it's much easier to use...

Steph

S

Simon Dunkley

I would say, Simon, that for the one loco with sound, you are OK.
If you add a smoke unit, you may be getting close to things.
But you will need a booster if you are to run anything else, or even just to have them gurgling away in the background.

Simon

Flying Squad
Well I finally managed to cut out the chassis to give the two downward facing speakers a better "sound line" to outer spaces, if you see what I mean.

Here is the cutting out completed (3 discs used in process)

Ahole1.jpg

And here is the completed installation, the LH speaker is behind the unpowered bogie.

Ahole2.jpg

From a quick test a few minutes ago I think it's quite a lot louder - I will try it out in the garden tomorrow morning hopefully:) I will be interested to learn what Steph thinks of it given his much wider experience of sound installations, I'm finding it hard to judge what is "right" or at least commensurate with the equipment.

I also epoxied back on the guard iron that knocked off in a derailment on the club's test track the other week and the sidestep I broke off earlier this evening:rolleyes:

Simon