DJH 0 gauge 9f kit

sagaguy

Western Thunderer
This kit arrived by courier this morning,it was in their sale and i couldn`t resist it.Having nearly finished a DJH Fairburn loco,i`d been casting around for my next loco.

Ray.

Attachments

• 9f kit.jpg
    9f kit.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220517_165307.jpg.jpg
    20220517_165307.jpg.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 44

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
That means there'll be three 9f builds here on WT including my own Crosti version. And three different makes of kit as well, which makes things interesting.

It looks like the DJH kit has a cast boiler which should hopefully speed your build up a bit.

I'm looking forward to how this goes.

Mike

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Hi Ray

I built the DJH kit quite a long time ago now, it is a nice kit with no major errors to worry about .
I'm sure you will enjoy the build.

Richard

Bonky

Apologies if I'm interjecting here but I'm minded to buy a Scorpio/Seven Models 9F. The DJH kit looks good but is expensive and is about the same price as the MOK version (which some people view as being a little better still). However, both these retail at £715/£721 (not inc discounts), whilst the Scorpio one is £360. Even given the vagaries of the Scorpio/Acorn/Jim Harris tender, that's a heap of difference!

Even if some of the castings aren't up to MOK standards, surely it wouldn't cost £350 to replace some of the errant parts with bits from Ragstone, LG and Premier?

I'm sure you have referenced these (but just in case):
9F build:

Constructing a Rebuilt Crosti 9F using a Scorpio kit - Scale 7 Group

7mm - The Derby Line - David Andrews J11

9F castings

Acorn tender: Seven Models O gauge Duke of Gloucester

And: Jazz 7mm Workbench

Mok 9F: https://www.gaugeoguild.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/mok-9f.3095/

JH: DJH 0 gauge 9f kit

And: https://www.gaugeoguild.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/next-loco-kit.8971/#post-219090

Richard

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard

I chose to replace some, but not all of the castings in the Scorpio/Seven Models kit. I suspect the cost of the replacement/upgraded parts has already come to over £200.00, but I've decided not to keep a tally or worry about it! :D

If you decide to replace all of the castings I can see the cost rising to £300.00. The other thing worth thinking about is parts availability as third party parts suppliers may not have all the bits you need in stock.

Mike

Bonky

Again, apologies for hijacking the OP's thread, but here's my dilemma: I already have 14 locos. (10 from kits - from a Sentinel to a Patriot, and 4 RTRs).

My layout is a relatively small one (the length of a garage), and, like many of the locos (above) has not been finished. I find all that bending over and esp under layouts etc a bit of a chore. I actually have all the locos I need BUT want more - even though my wife recognises the stress I seem to put myself under when I'm building them. I'm a bit of S&DJR and GWR (I know!) so would like a 9F, 2P, Black 5, Rebuilt WC etc. I now seem to have most of the tools I need to build them and it would appear a waste not to use them (wouldn't it?).

The obvious thing to do is to complete all the locos so they are good runners (I wish I'd known about R/C earlier- IMHO the way to go in the future esp when the sound decoders become more plentiful - and cheaper)) and to complete my modest layout. However, the garage is too cold in the midst of winter, and I can decamp into a spare south-facing spare bedroom.

Is anyone else in a similar dilemma?
IMG_7393.jpeg
IMG_7393.jpeg