Double Heading WR engines

lnerjp

Western Thunderer
From a coversation I was having last night, the question arouse as to how you would double head two Western engines with regard to Braking, as the lead engine would be responsable for braking and stopping the train, but both engines would have a maintaing pump, so if the lead engine is braking and the driver is destroying the vacuum , what is peventing the second engine from trying to create a vacuum and thus reducing the effect of the brake application of the driver of the lead engine, would the driver be relying on the retaining valve on the second engine?

thanks in advance
J.P.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
From what I am led to believe the Loco brake is left in the running position therefore the compressor is not in the train system only the loco's through the proportional brake valve. As a guard we ask the leading driver to create a brake and other locomotives if not driven in multipull  or dead must have another driver on them to monitor the engine they are riding on. The only time a brake application will be made from anywhere on the train including double heading from the non leading loco is in  an emergency

Ian

bogusman

Western Thunderer
Hi J.P
As Ian has already mentioned the lead engine would be in charge of braking, the inside engine would leave its brake handle in the off position or running position depending on wheather it is just a vacuum brake or a combination brake. Even though the vacuum pumps are both working once an application is made it will close the retaining valve so now the pump will now only maintain the vacuum in the reservoir and not the train pipe.  Can I recommend the handbook for railway steam locomotive enginemen by the British Transport Commision as it was most useful when I was on the footplate and explains how the GWR braking system worked

Pete