DCC ESU Adaptor Plate Manual, pt/no. 51968... only English spoken 'ere

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I have the ESU product for mounting DCC chips with 21 pins, this is ESU product code 51968. The product comes with instructions in German, dated March 2009, part number 03408-06737.

I have tried to find an English equivalent on the ESU web site under downloads. Whilst the "title" 21MTC adapter board looks hopeful the download is not so... being for a different product (51967), dated September 2007 and written in German.

Who can help me by summarising what is contained in the instructions for product 51968?

regards, Graham

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
I have the ESU product for mounting DCC chips with 21 pins, this is ESU product code 51968. The product comes with instructions in German, dated March 2009, part number 03408-06737.

I have tried to find an English equivalent on the ESU web site under downloads. Whilst the "title" 21MTC adapter board looks hopeful the download is not so... being for a different product (51967), dated September 2007 and written in German.

Who can help me by summarising what is contained in the instructions for product 51968?

regards, Graham

Uchtung alles lookenpeepers !
Das instrumenten is nicht gerwerken , ist easy snappen das springen verk midst spits unt sparken, unt poppenkorken.

Sorry Graham:D.........and Mods
Col.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Graham,

You are, of course, quite correct. I've had a look on the German language site and found this page of manuals: http://www.esu.eu/download/betriebsanleitungen/zubehoer/ which has a manual for the 21MTC Adapterplatine 2. I suspect this is the same as the one you have in your packet.

Daft question therefore; is the circuit diagram not enough to get you going? I note that ESU don't seem to have manuals for all their products even in German (where's the one for the v4 LokProgrammer, grrr) and fewer in English. In the case of the adapter boards I've tended to be okay using just the circuit diagram. Any odd words that need replacing can be done pretty painlessly by Google these days...

I must confess I've not thought about it in quite these terms before as yours truly has a reasonable working knowledge of the German language.

Actually a closer look has revealed a large '?' for me - no mention of the method to connect the Power module, which would therefore seem to need either a little pin-tracing or attaching directly to the decoder. I really hope this is an aside from the thrust of the thread though!

Steph

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I've had a look on the German language site and found this page of manuals: http://www.esu.eu/download/betriebsanleitungen/zubehoer/ which has a manual for the 21MTC Adapterplatine 2. I suspect this is the same as the one you have in your packet.
That download produces an instruction sheet for product 51967 whereas I am using a 21 pin adaptor with product code 51968 and the relevant instructions in German. The plug board which I have (51968) has a different appearance to the product shown on the South West Digital web site - the number of cables on my board does not agree with the pads shown in the picture.

Daft question therefore; is the circuit diagram not enough to get you going?... ...I must confess I've not thought about it in quite these terms before as yours truly has a reasonable working knowledge of the German language.
Not sure, see my comment above.

Actually a closer look has revealed a large '?' for me - no mention of the method to connect the Power module, which would therefore seem to need either a little pin-tracing or attaching directly to the decoder.
Contrary to what I might have written elsewhere on WT I now believe that the three wire control of the ESU Power Pack are not taken through the 21 pin connector so those wires have to be soldered to pads on the decoder board.

regards, Graham

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
That download produces an instruction sheet for product 51967 whereas I am using a 21 pin adaptor with product code 51968 and the relevant instructions in German. The plug board which I have (51968) has a different appearance to the product shown on the South West Digital web site - the number of cables on my board does not agree with the pads shown in the picture.
The 51968 manual is on the page I linked, as for 51967.

Contrary to what I might have written elsewhere on WT I now believe that the three wire control of the ESU Power Pack are not taken through the 21 pin connector so those wires have to be soldered to pads on the decoder board

Aah. I'll have a play when I fit my next Power unit - it's going in to a loco that already has a 51967 (don't need the extra functions you get with the 51968).

Can you bung up a picture of the component you're talking about please, just to confirm I've not got the sh!tty end of the stick again...?

Steph

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
The 51968 manual is on the page I linked, as for 51967.

Aah. I'll have a play when I fit my next Power unit - it's going in to a loco that already has a 51967 (don't need the extra functions you get with the 51968).

Can you bung up a picture of the component you're talking about please, just to confirm I've not got the sh!tty end of the stick again...?
My apologies Steph, I chose the download which seemed to have the same title as on my instructions and failed to notice the second download with a similar title. In spite of "adaptor plate 2" having a date of 28-05-2010 the download is March 2009 - same as my instructions sheet. Now this has been an useful exercise in that the download shows the plate and its tracks in colour, black for tracks on one side of the adaptor and blue for tracks on the other side of the plate. I have compared the tracking in the download with the tracking on my adaptor plate and generally the circuit is the same.

I shall take a photo of each side of the adaptor plate and post here.

Thank you, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Can you bung up a picture of the component you're talking about...?
As requested by Steph.

The first photo is of the socket side of the adaptor, there are six wires from the left of this board:- black/red/orange/grey/white/yellow. There are three wires from the right of the board:- purple/green/blue. Nothing unexpected there then.
MT21-top.jpg

The second photo shows the underneath of the adaptor and suggests that I can attach the speaker to the pads (top LH corner) - provided that the sound decoder takes the sound outputs through pins 9 and 10 of the 21 pin connector (Loksound V4 decoder comes with the speaker hardwired to decoder pads). AUX1 /AUX2 and FL/RL are taken to the board edge and wires attached... with alternative pads available - indicates that the customer is expected to bridge the gaps with components in some circumstances, maybe resistors for protecting LEDs, and then take the outputs from the alternative pads.
MT21-bottom.jpg

Steph has suggested that I ought to Read The Fabulous Manual which comes with the decoder. I have gone through that tome this morning and found nothing about the pin-out configuration of the decoder so moving the hard-wired speaker connections to the 21 pin adaptor is on hold.
regards, Graham

mickoo

Western Thunderer
If the document is openable in a web page, most are, then use Google chrome as it has a translation facility, won't be best Queens English or grammar, but a whole lot better than Herman German.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Aah, Graham, this one I know!

You can x-ref the decoder and adapter manuals and happily move the speaker wires of the decoder and on to the adapter. To be honest it's the main reason I now use the 21MTC decoder variants where I can. It makes the wiring, testing, programming and installation so much easier.

And thanks for the pictures, it conforms we're talking about the same beastie.

Steph

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Good news Steph... I went through the manual index this morning and did not spot the information. I guess that searching the index is fine if you know how the index has been written... second time through I checked page 13 and seems to me that table 3 has the answer, correct?

Thank you, Graham

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Good news Steph... I went through the manual index this morning and did not spot the information. I guess that searching the index is fine if you know how the index has been written... second time through I checked page 13 and seems to me that table 3 has the answer, correct?

Figure 3 of the LokSound v4.0 manual; (51972_LokSound_V40_ESUKG_EN_User-Manual_Edition-4_eBook_02.pdf). Yes, correct.

When I get the chance (and for my personal edification) I'll see if one of the 'spare' pins (2,3,17) happens to be connected to the 'charge' pad on the decoder for their proprietary Power/keep alive. That'd be pretty handy if so. I note that a home-brew keep alive (as detailed at the top of Fig 22, p26 of the above manual) can be wired through the adapter on to pins 20 (Ground) and 16 (common), so we're part way there already.

Steph

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
...I'll see if one of the 'spare' pins (2,3,17) happens to be connected to the 'charge' pad on the decoder for their proprietary Power/keep alive. That'd be pretty handy if so. I note that a home-brew keep alive (as detailed at the top of Fig 22, p26 of the above manual) can be wired through the adapter on to pins 20 (Ground) and 16 (common), so we're part way there already.
That sounds like the essence of a discussion that I have had with Brian Clapperton... I recollect that he was not able to find the charge line as a pin-out through the connector.

regards, Graham

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Steph said:
When I get the chance (and for my personal edification) I'll see if one of the 'spare' pins (2,3,17) happens to be connected to the 'charge' pad on the decoder for their proprietary Power/keep alive.
I've already used the ESU keep alive on their V4 decoders but not a 21 pin version. However it's quite easy to follow the ESU instructions. I've yet to try a home brewed power pack :) .

I see ESU produce two 21 pin adapter boards. Extract from ESU below to show the differences. I've only used the bottom one.
  • teaser_AC_51968_01.png

21MTC adapter board 2

This adapter board is meant for 21MTC decoders and is very helpful for converting old Märklin® locomotives, when AUX3 and AUX4 are also needed.
  • teaser_AC_51967_01.png

21MTC adapter board

This adapter board meant for decoders helps you to convert your old Märklin locomotives.