First Steps Outdoors

ceejaydee

Western Thunderer
I'll grab a photo of mine...we can compare weeds...how scatter gun is that then:eek:

A garden railway is in the future for me, well that's the plan, but I haven't yet decided on ground level G gauge or high level O, given I've two cocker Spaniels I think high level might be the wiser of the two choices LOL they're both barmy as hens, one's show stock and the other gun dog stock but both mad in their own right.

I'm with Jordan on the Alco, never used to like them but they are growing on me, for me US trains were big 6000Hp monsters but my interest in modelling the US in larger scales has sort of forced me to look at the smaller aspect of their railroads and thus open up new avenues of interest, mainly short lines or industrial complexes, mind I still like my class 1 stock.

Short lines offer an indecent excuse to run more-or-less what you want when you want and where you want and I like that concept.

Do you have any plans in the future for turnouts and sidings or expanding the trackwork?
I did originally plan out two connected ovals with a passing loop and the mock-up can be seen on the first page of this thread somewhere and whilst the turnout was laid into the oval at the start further tracklaying has yet to take place.
Now I have mused that I would also like a 32mm track to run my 16mm and 7mm stock so as I wanted to have larger 45mm gauge curves (which I already have) I may replace the current oval with 32mm and put a larger 45mm oval outside that... however I do like the 45mm as it is and may just reconfigure the current setup to give a larger oval with larger radius curves and a passing loop and leave the 32mm for the future when we (eventually) move where I can either go for a slightly elevated track or a ground level set in a Rowlands type mix with plenty of lovely moss.
Not quite sure yet what will happen but I tend to be happy with a short train trundling round so may just go for trundling round a oval with larger radius curves that way I can run live steam too which I am hesitant to do on the 2" radius apex on my current curves.

Simon

Flying Squad
Excellent to see your garden line again Christopher, if I'm not mistaken I think you have got some "Sedum Album" there, I call it my "universal garden plant" as I can get it to grow really easily. I now have loads of it and it all came from one small plant at a garden centre - super cheap!

Percy

Also known as "White Stonecrop" I think.

ceejaydee

Western Thunderer
Excellent to see your garden line again Christopher, if I'm not mistaken I think you have got some "Sedum Album" there, I call it my "universal garden plant" as I can get it to grow really easily. I now have loads of it and it all came from one small plant at a garden centre - super cheap!

Percy

Also known as "White Stonecrop" I think.

From a quick google pic comparison I think that you are correct Simon; can't go wrong with Sedum or Saxifrage and as you say very easy to multiply your plant stock from what must be a £2ish plant theses days.

I do have an Alpine book somewhere which I must seek out.

ceejaydee

Western Thunderer
Whilst the garden layout hasn't seen a massive amount of use this year I am enjoying a regular few minutes tinkering around the track weeding and also watching the line mature as it passes it's first anniversary.
As a fan of the mossy byways of Dave Rowlands and Brian Clarke in days of yore I am pleased with the gentle invasion of the track in a couple of places and none so more than here :)

Overgrown Line 1 001.JPG

I'm also getting a good growth of moss at the side of the line on the curve at the top of this pic.

For me having the line is as enjoyable as running it.

Simon

Flying Squad
Christopher, I know just what you mean. Seeing the track outside and watching how nature does its thing around it is hugely pleasing. Mind you, I am cutting back my track invasions as I am trying to represent the high iron of the mighty LSWR striding westwards to Falmouth:rolleyes::p

Your line looks really nice:thumbs:

Brian's layout in his garden was quite something back in the day, the "Mind Your Own Business" on my line has all grown from a few pieces Brian gave me from his garden and his brilliant bean tin corrugation engine shed was really what inspired me to do my hut.

Simon