Fruit D's livery?

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
I really wouldnt take that as definitive evidence of bauxite (or any particular livery for that matter). Compare it with the similarly-hued bogie vehicle after the two clean maroon ones - far more likely to be general van filth:)

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Martyn,

have a look back in my workshop thread - post 199 on page 10 regarding maroon livery, but page 8 onwards might be helpful.

cheers

Mike

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike,

Yes I remember your thread now, it was me that brought some transfers off you for my Fruit D :thumbs:.

Well to be honest I have had enough of this research now concerning the livery issue, so it will be carmine with heaps of grime applied, still I suppose grime is nearly the same colour as bauxite :confused::)).

ATB,

Martyn.

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
There's just the chance it could still be in faded brown livery as the GWR regarded these vehicles as passenger-rated stock. Grubby carmine is another possibility of course...

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
The Flickr stream which you have referenced has some other photos taken same place same day same time (judging by the shadows). You could use those as a reference... especially the image of the tanner-oner. My money is on the "D" being bauxite avec grunge.

AJC

Western Thunderer
The Flickr stream which you have referenced has some other photos taken same place same day same time (judging by the shadows). You could use those as a reference... especially the image of the tanner-oner. My money is on the "D" being bauxite avec grunge.

And mine isn't. Somewhere under the dirt, it'll probably be whatever colour Swindon were painting new NPCCS c. 1955-8. Since it has electric light fittings on the end, it's a BR build, constructed between 1955 and 1958 so GW chocolate is more or less impossible. I can't think of any vehicles numbered in the coaching stock series (as Fruit D were) which were painted bauxite so why should the Fruit Ds have been different? It'll be some form of dark red. The Paul Bartlett picture in the link below shows a vehicle which appears to have a patch painted repair in post-64 brown but the numbers are clearly in yellow and in the NPCCS position so is, beneath the muck, probably carmine or maroon depending upon when it was last painted.

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/fruitd/hc481245#hc481245

Adam

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
There's just the chance it could still be in faded brown livery as the GWR regarded these vehicles as passenger-rated stock.

That recalls a thread on 'the UK's foremost' where folk were getting desperate to establish that some Siphons were still in GW livery. They might have been, but my maxim tends to be 'paint what you see' - that way it matters not what it says on the tin lid...

... I can't think of any vehicles numbered in the coaching stock series (as Fruit D were) which were painted bauxite so why should the Fruit Ds have been different?

Tend to agree with that. One should never say never of course, and I'm sure if I thought very, very hard ;) that I could think of an exception, but I'd say the use of plebian bauxite/Freight Brown on vehicles that were intended to be differentiated by another livery was very rare (other than BR brakevans and the brief and sporadic mid-'60s use of FB on unfitted wagons). Bauxite SR CCTs, bauxite BRT grains, bauxite Seacows, all figments of RTR manufacturer's imaginations AFAIC.

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Hi Tim,

Great picture, and I think this proof finally puts my mind at rest :rolleyes:.

ATB,

Martyn.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Just to muddy the waters slightly, I'm fairly certain I've seen this picture before and it shows - most unusually - I think the picture is c. ' 65, maroon ends and boxed lettering, wagon style... They'd be black and unboxed prior to about that point.

Adam

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
It also has a wagon-style repair data panel at the RH end. Other than the actual colours, the lettering is pretty much what I'd expect on a Rail Blue Fruit D, as most photos I've seen of those have the boxed style more readily associated with freight stock, though the boxes below the cross-brace will read 'PASSENGER' and 'XP'.