georgeT's (7mm Workbench)

Hopefully the next thing on your bench is a nice cuppa. Well earned, they look very nice and three off must have been hard on the old mogo.
Looking forwards to the N2 lots of pictures would be good. I've got one on the to do list and its nice to see the finished item but even better to see the pitfalls and follow the construction.
Best wishes.
Phillip

georgeT

Western Thunderer
Hopefully the next thing on your bench is a nice cuppa. Well earned, they look very nice and three off must have been hard on the old mogo.
Looking forwards to the N2 lots of pictures would be good. I've got one on the to do list and its nice to see the finished item but even better to see the pitfalls and follow the construction.
Best wishes.
Phillip
Thanks for the kind words Phil it was a great strain on the old brain, something to do in the lock down, by way its a SR N class l am building next...

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the kind words Phil it was a great strain on the old brain, something to do in the lock down, by way its a SR N class l am building next...

Is it the David Andrews kit? I've got one stashed away to do at some point so will be watching with interest.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi George,

I'm enjoying your build thread as usual and here are a couple of rescued slides from my recent scannings which may be of use to you

img026.jpg img025.jpg

taken at Alresford yard in 1992, sorry about the quality of the side view.

Stay safe and well

kind regards

Mike

AdeMoore

Western Thunderer
Liking this build a lot.
As my avatar will witness one of my fav. Locos can barely see the solder such a clean build.
What solder flux and iron are your choice may I ask?
Also could you tell us the reason for the highlighter on the instructions.
Cheers
Ade

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Hi George,

I'm enjoying your build thread as usual and here are a couple of rescued slides from my recent scannings which may be of use to you

View attachment 127454 View attachment 127455

Stay safe and well

kind regards

Mike

Just be aware that the N in the photos is one of the many that received new front frames, notable from the curved frame tops above the footplate. These locos were actually longer at the front than the originals with the triangular frame tops. Also look out for different chimneys, outside steampipes and different cylinders on the reframed (and other) locos.

Other variations to keep an eye on when choosing a prototype include: LH vs RH drive; smoke deflector hand hold shapes, AWS with associated bang plates; and more obviously the tender type.

More of a minefield than you expect.

georgeT

Western Thunderer
Liking this build a lot.
As my avatar will witness one of my fav. Locos can barely see the solder such a clean build.
What solder flux and iron are your choice may I ask?
Also could you tell us the reason for the highlighter on the instructions.
Cheers
Ade

Hello Ade, the flux is from Hobby Holidays and its water based, so no awful smell or cleaning up the green mess, and the solder l use is 145 degree, but l clean up as l go, every soldered joint boring but it stays clean, hope this helps.
PS, The yellow felt pen marks makes sure l don't forget anything (getting old now Hahahaha)

georgeT

Western Thunderer
Hi George,

View attachment 127454 View attachment 127455

Stay safe and well

kind regards

Mike

Thanks Mike They are a great help, the loco l was thinking of is 31791 a right hand drive, and was thinking of folding the tender top over (why) to make the lining neater when l paint her as the straight sided tender as your photo shows the lining is not so graceful ?

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
George,

I may have misinterpreted your comment; are you thinking to turning the tender into one of those with the turned-in side panels? If that's the case then I suggest you don't, they're very different tenders.

Steph

P.s. there were a batch of 4000g flat sided tenders which were like the those with turned-in sides - but David doesn't do that one...!

georgeT

Western Thunderer
George,

I may have misinterpreted your comment; are you thinking to turning the tender into one of those with the turned-in side panels? If that's the case then I suggest you don't, they're very different tenders.

Steph

P.s. there were a batch of 4000g flat sided tenders which were like the those with turned-in sides - but David doesn't do that one...!

Hello Steph, Thank you for stopping me looking a right plum, l thought the tenders were very similar , l shall keep the tender as David intended, it was the lining l was thinking of, thanks again.

AdeMoore

Western Thunderer
Hello Ade, the flux is from Hobby Holidays and its water based, so no awful smell or cleaning up the green mess, and the solder l use is 145 degree, but l clean up as l go, every soldered joint boring but it stays clean, hope this helps.
PS, The yellow felt pen marks makes sure l don't forget anything (getting old now Hahahaha)
Ah thanks George that is the very stuff, flux solder from Hobby Holidays is what I have, no excuses now then I just need a better iron and clean up as I go.
Only as old as you feel and the highlighter is a good idea not to forget anything.
Cheers

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Hello Steph, Thank you for stopping me looking a right plum, l thought the tenders were very similar , l shall keep the tender as David intended, it was the lining l was thinking of, thanks again.

Hehe, you're welcome, George! :)

Steph

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Thanks Mike They are a great help, the loco l was thinking of is 31791 a right hand drive, and was thinking of folding the tender top over (why) to make the lining neater when l paint her as the straight sided tender as your photo shows the lining is not so graceful ?

Hi George, do you mean 31791? That's a U Class not a N Class. May look similar but the wheels are bigger, the wheel spacing different and the boiler pitched higher.

31790–31809 were also rebuilds of the ill-fated River Class 2-6-4 tanks and had a lower running plate and hence bigger splashers than the new-build Us.

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
Hi George, do you mean 31791? That's a U Class not a N Class. May look similar but the wheels are bigger, the wheel spacing different and the boiler pitched higher.

31790–31809 were also rebuilds of the ill-fated River Class 2-6-4 tanks and had a lower running plate and hence bigger splashers than the new-build Us.

The footplates on the rebuilt Rivers were lower and wider (as I've just discovered while contemplating a 4mm version...) as well as everything else, but a U of any stripe from an N is, well, it's not straightforward.

Adam