Magazine Gog Gazette

28ten

Guv'nor
GOG gazette November

I tend to agree with Ian, it's just one of those things. As Graham said it was a long time ago and it didn't involve any of the current GOG team.
From a sellers POV as long as the goods are sold at asking price, it makes no difference

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
GOG gazette November

iploffy said:
Not if it's been sunk :)) :))

Ian

I think the bodyshells were moulded from a cunning blend of Pollyfilla & straw with the extra detail lovingly hand-crafted with a rusty screwdriver...........I've not seen craftmanship like that since 'El-crapo' produced their whitemetal class 22  :eek: makes my Modelexpress one look like one from 'St Peters of Leamington'  ;D

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
GOG gazette November

Phill you mentioned Good and described a session infront of Watfords latest attempt at CAD (polyfiller and straw) in the same sentence get a grip that man.

Ian

G

Graham Powell

GOG gazette November

There has been talk of el Crappo on another group I'm on. My neighbour who had his own resin castings business has  a el crappo west country  and its not a bad piece of moulding. I still reckon there is a market for cheap and cheerful stuff in  O gauge. Bit like Leinster or El crappo. Some of the prices in the Gazette are horrific. One of my friends has a C Taylor kit for a Pug running on his layout. Anybody remember those?
I'm very curious as to what was made of polyfilla and straw?. Most intriguied.

rgds
Graham Powell ;D :wave: :thumbs:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
GOG gazette November

Graham Powell said:
There has been talk of el Crappo on another group I'm on. My neighbour who had his own resin castings business has  a el crappo west country  and its not a bad piece of moulding. I still reckon there is a market for cheap and cheerful stuff in  O gauge. Bit like Leinster or El crappo. Some of the prices in the Gazette are horrific. One of my friends has a C Taylor kit for a Pug running on his layout. Anybody remember those?
I'm very curious as to what was made of polyfilla and straw?. Most intriguied.

rgds
Graham Powell ;D :wave: :thumbs:

Hi Graham :wave:
Most of the El-Crapo range is still available from Model Express & I couldn't agree more there is always a place for budget kits/RTR, my comment about Pollyfilla & Straw was of course 'Tongue in Cheek'  ;D,  as the SB Warship body is a very rough one piece resin casting (not for the faint hearted) a much better budget option IMO is the ex-McGeechan Warship avilable from Model Express  :thumbs:
All the best
Phill  :thumbs:

G

Graham Powell

GOG gazette November

Model Express?. Is that the guy from Cheddar?.
rgds
Graham

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
GOG gazette November

Dont know but I saw a model of the warship at Telford and i Have to say it don't look at all bad.

Ian

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
GOG gazette November

Graham Powell said:
Model Express?. Is that the guy from Cheddar?.
rgds
Graham

"Dont know but I saw a model of the warship at Telford and i Have to say it don't look at all bad.

Ian"

Yes that's the one  :thumbs:

S

Simon Dunkley

GOG gazette November

CME & Bottlewasher said:
Hoping that uncle Pete may bring out a Cl 22 and that would blow my budget for quite some time
I believe he has plans...
Someone said to me - recently - that with mortgage interest rates being low, that we have never had it so good - well I aint seen any of that yet :headbang:? So budget items will have to stay in my sights...
Having until recently worked in financial services (a building society) of the credit risk side, I have had quite a lot of exposure to this sort of issue, and it is fairly complex and I don't have the time to go into it now, but...
When interest rates get this low, economies don't behave normally, and the net effect is that from a practical point of view, on a day-to-day basis. you won't see interest rates that low being passed on to the public as they aren't passed onto the banking system in any meaningful way.
Why were they made so low? Well, it was a game of "beggar thy neighbour" by the major world economies. They all realised that if one country did this, they would devalue their currency and make themselves more attractive to customers overseas whilst at the same time putting up the cost of anything imported. They also realised that if everyone bar one country did this, then the one country not doing it would be ****ed right over.
So they all did it, and no one can be the first to raise their rates very much, either.

In practice, the economy works best when the base rate is somewhere between 4% and 5% and inflation between 2% and 3% - i.e. when inflation is low and the base rate is a couple of percent above it. This makes saving a worthwhile option, and also means that lending instituions can cover the costs of administration and borrowing whilst maintaining a reasonable margin for re-investment, etc.

That's well OT...

28ten

Guv'nor
GOG gazette November

On a personal level I'm seeing no benefit from low interest rates, any mortgage savings are being cancelled out by poor rates on savings as our level of overall debt is low. The saving incentive for most people in the current climate is fear of redundancy, not any ROI. 

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
GOG gazette November

CME & Bottlewasher said:
Hi Phill,

Is Model Express still trading then? I thought that there was some doubt of that?

I like what you have done with yours, so I keep looking...

I missed out on a ME Warship (slightly damaged) on Flebay, yet may get one new sometime in the future.

Hi CME  :wave:

Not heard anything myself about Modelexpress having any problems , the website link frequently doesn't work if that's where the doubt comes from ?. Assuming everthing is OK in the Modelexpress camp I would tread carefully buying S/H ones from ebay as if you get some bad mouldings you will be stuck with them, whereas with a new kit at around ?100 or less you will be able to swap any dodgy bits  :thumbs:

All the best

Phill  :thumbs:

S

Simon Dunkley

GOG gazette November

28ten said:
The saving incentive for most people in the current climate is fear of redundancy, not any ROI.
As a bit of a leftie with Keynsian views on these matters, I am inclined to agree - also this is not good for the economy as a whole as protecting one's own position tends to impact of other people's: if you are saving, you are not buying, if you are not buying, then someone else is not selling, and therefore someone else is not making. All these little bits add up.

The great fault with economic theories is that they forget that individuals will not act in the interests of the "common good" when that is so far remote from them that people have no recourse but to look after number 1.

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
GOG gazette November

CME & Bottlewasher said:
Is Model Express still trading then? I thought that there was some doubt of that?
I can confirm that they are alive, well and still trading.  They were at the Taunton show the other weekend.  I took a punt on one of their Cargowaggons, it's not perfect but I think it has potential.  He should be calling me when it's ready.

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
GOG gazette November

Simon Dunkley said:
When interest rates get this low, economies don't behave normally, and the net effect is that from a practical point of view, on a day-to-day basis. you won't see interest rates that low being passed on to the public as they aren't passed onto the banking system in any meaningful way.
Why were they made so low?
Continuing OT, I am firmly of the opinion that rates were dropped so low to allow the banks to repair their balance sheets, with the added benefit of doing what you describe.  It's for the same reason that mart to market has been suspended as well - to fill the hole left by dodgy loans that have little prospect of ever being repaid.

Simon Dunkley said:
As a bit of a leftie with Keynsian views on these matters, I am inclined to agree - also this is not good for the economy as a whole as protecting one's own position tends to impact of other people's: if you are saving, you are not buying, if you are not buying, then someone else is not selling, and therefore someone else is not making. All these little bits add up.
Ah, the paradox of thrift.  I can see where Keynes was coming from with his ideas, but that isn't going to work now - we were already well in deficit before all this kicked off.

I guess that I must be on the right then (that will come as no surprise to those who know me well!  :D ), as I subscribe to the Austrian school theories, with a smattering of Marx.  How's that for a combination!

28ten

Guv'nor
A quick heads up, the latest issue arrived at 8.30 this morning, the thing that struck me was the number of rtr models now available in 7mm, is it becoming the new 4mm? * opens cannot worms and ducks!*