Should the Ratio 4-wheel GWR coaches be gloos or matt? I'm not exactly sure. I tend to think things look better matt or satin, but should the brown or cream (or both) technically be gloss? I don't know.
Any help would be appreciated!!

simond

Western Thunderer
Without going searching, I can't be definitive, and assuming you're referring to the prototypes, I'd be pretty sure (>99%!) that when freshly painted, they would be gloss. They would weather, of course.

It may not be a valid reference, but on a visit to Boston Lodge some years back, I took a photo of the Cob, reflected in the fresh gloss maroon of a coach end. It was art. Just not very good art :(

Best
Simon

AJC

Western Thunderer
I'd be astounded if both colours weren't gloss when new: how well a full gloss finish translates to 4mm scale is a different question. One of the key things in imparting any sense of realism to models - in my view anyway - is that there should be variation in sheen. Even if locos ended up filthy, the coaches they were hauling usually had a shine to them: both were painted gloss to start with.

Adam

PMP

Western Thunderer
Painting gloss to start will help if using transfers for numbers and lettering, I'd then finish it with satin if I wanted a scale 'new' appearance.