Hello everyone

Adrian Parfitt

Based in Northampton and currently moving from American G Scale to O scale GWR so a big change. Very little propriety models available in O scale of the locomotives I like ie Dean singles, 2-2-2, Armstrong 4-4-0s, River class so guess I will have to re learn soldering and kit building... . I will probably need a bit of help along the way and advice where to get the locos painted too. My first project will be a Roxy metro tank which has been in cupboard for 5 years. Look forward to talking to you all.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Welcome, plenty of people here will pitch in with advice and techniques to help you along your way, as you may or may not know, the Western Thunder collective/hive likes pictures :thumbs:

I've not built a River class but Nick Dunhill has recently, don't think he posted build photos here but he said it went together well, Scorpio kits can be a bit hit and miss but generally I think the GWR stuff is reasonably good for fit and construction.

The Armstrong is available from Modern Outline Kits (MOK), it's not cheap but you pay for exact fit, ease of build and great detail, very rare to find fault in a MOK kit and if there is, it's easy to get around.

There are a couple of areas that need a little extra care, but you can cross that bridge as and when. I've only built one and it was a dream to build. I'm not an early GWR fan at all, but grudgingly admit, it does look pretty darn good when all finished.

IMG_8211.jpg

IMG_8474.jpg

The model was painted by Warren Heywood who frequents on WT here and there.

Hope that helps.

Adrian Parfitt

That is a stunning model, and want it. I have a Warren Heywood painted (or re painted) Dean Single as my first loco and got to start making coaches too but everything in time. I like the quality and finish of Warren’s work. I am about to step into the world of DCC and sound which could be an interesting area as don’t think there are many sound files for early locos.

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Hi Adrian,

Welcome to WT. Are you a member of Northampton (and District) MRC ? There are certainly some good O gauge/7mm modellers there who could help and assist. Obviously, at present it is difficult due to lockdown to meet up though ! I'm in MK, so not a million miles away from you, and there are other WT'ers in the surrounding area too.

WT is a great online resource for help and advice, and it might be worth considering the Gauge O Guild due to the large online resource there with the Forum, Gazette Archive, Online Manual, Drawings and the new Wiki page as well as the Virtual Shows and the recently launched "An Evening With...." events.

Happy Modelling.

Ian