Hello from a Tier 2 Location....

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Evening All,

I'm just getting back into O gauge modelling again after a hiatus of about five or six years.

Initial projects are very much spurred on by looking at an unpainted Bachmann Brass O gauge J94 and wondering whether I should sell it. Knowing I wont have the skills to every paint it, I then did wonder whether I should get someone else todo the hard work. I had a few emails with Warren Hayward, and the loco has been sent through to his workshops to be out-shopped in Longmoor Military Railway Livery.

With the Longmoor theme in mind, the recent sale at Hattons spurred on the purchase of a few of their warwells. Additionally I've taken the plunge and am awaiting delivery of a few MM1 (ex JLTRT) BR/SR box van kits to finish off a 'Longmoor' train.

Will hopefully get a thread put up in due course highlighting the fun/games of building/painting/weathering the rolling stock. Until then more than happy to look upon other threads admiring the rich handiwork displayed here.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen

Western Thunderer
I suppose there is now justification to get a 'Thumper' in O gauge as well then!

Does raise a good question of manning the footplate of the J94......think I'll see if models of an 'sappers' are available - the misses would start asking serious questions if 'St.Trinian' figures started appearing...

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Hi Ian,

you’ve done a fantastic job - brass kits are beyond me presently, but that certainly is inspiration for the future.

Although the BR Green would suit my modelling desires, I’d have a strong temptation to blue/grey, just as I remember travelling on them between Southampton and Salisbury.

Cheers,

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

It is built from a Peter Clark Kit, with some modifications to represent a 2H as running in 1958.

Regards,

Ian

DavidB

Western Thunderer
Thank you David! That’s saved a further trawl of the internet to find suitable figures - they look pretty decent!
You are welcome. I was helping Alan on his stand at the Apedale Valley Light Railway (edge of Stoke on Trent) in 2018 at a WW1 event. There were lots of people in uniform showing everything from cavalry, artillery, transport to trains and field kitchens. It was a great weekend and Alan got some useful scans to add to his catalogue. It's nice to remember the people we met and who now appear as scans. I went as a policeman and have now been immortalised in resin!

Stephen

Western Thunderer
In all honesty I’ve never really put much thought into the ‘population’ of any of my rolling stock, but I think in this instance with the whole planned ‘Longmoor Train’ probably only requiring loco crew and a guard, this will be a nice finishing touch.

I’m even debating diving into the world of military modelling adding a Comet Tank to the back of one of the Warwells.....but let’s take this one step at a time. I’m struggling to find any decent colour photos of Wagons at Longmoor. I have but there is not enough consistency in them to pinpoint a common denominator for a ‘green’ colour for them - some vans look grey....

but I’ve purchased a few Humbrol ‘army’ paints today, and I have a Slaters 7plant wagon which is going to be used as a test bed for the paining and Cambridge transfers. After that I’ve got a few MM1 vans on the way to me, and a Dapol Pillbox Brake Van that will need repainting.

cheers,

Stephen