Hello from Rutland

Martin C

Hello All,

Just stepping back into the world of railway modelling after some 30 years away - I got distracted while working and raising a family. I've previously modelled in OO but now looking at kit building in O as my eyesight isn't what it used to be!

Planning to build a simple kit to start with, like a Parkside wagon, then something in etched brass before progressing to a loco - liking the look of the DJH Class 03 but its on back order at the moment.

Looking forward to sharing my experiences and learning from you all.

Martin

cbrailways

Western Thunderer
Welcome Martin. As I'm sure others will also tell you we like to see lots of pictures on here ('a picture is worth a thousand words' etc.)..

adrian

Flying Squad
Hi,

Welcome onboard. As a one time resident (Whissendine and Langham) I have fond memories of the County. Parkside and Slaters kits are a good way back into modelling so feel free to show us how you get on as we always like to see people making stuff and there are plenty to help and encourage if you have any questions.

Adrian

Martin C

Thank you!

Here is my first photo, in theory its a Christmas present so I'll have more to report in a few weeks. Just looking now for some basic tools and a cutting mat, is there a good place to buy? I've seen some on Amazon but am a bit dubious about the quality.

Martin

20201203_164353.jpg

adrian

Flying Squad
I can understand the reticence sometimes with the Amazon offerings but of the odd item now and again they are okay.

If you are looking to buy a selection of items then somewhere like Squires (Squires Model & Craft Tools) have a comprehensive range - although their catalogue isn't the easiest of things to navigate and ordering is by phone or email.

Personally I've been buying a good number of my tools from Cooksons https://www.cooksongold.com

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Another vote for Cooksons.:)

Squires are good in my experience, but as Adrian says you need to find your way around their catalogue. They also sell from the cheapest to the most expensive and a little caveat emptor won't go amiss. You could also try Hobby Holidays - Phil Atkinson is very approachable, a model builder himself and will be happy to discuss your needs. See Hobby Holidays Home page

Brian

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Welcome Martin, from another one. I realise the prospect of acquiring a collection of tools is a daunting and potentially expensive exercise but please don't skimp on quality. I'm still using some tools my late father bought me when I went to college 50 years ago, as well as some of his and some of my grandfathers. If you want any pointers just holler.
Martin S

Martin C

I agree on quality Martin, I've got a good collection of DIY and cycle tools, definitely quality over quantity. I just need some smaller tools so probably don't need too many.

Martin C

Wow, I'm loving the Squires catalogue, an order will be going in soon. Looks like a good old fashioned store! I look forward to phoning my order through rather than on line clicking.

DavidB

Western Thunderer
I am behind times here, I do apologise. Back in October, for Missenden's Virtual Weekend, I made a short(ish) video of a trip through my toolbox which you might find useful. It's not very easy to find on the Missenden site, so here is a link:

Virtual Missenden – David Brandreth’s Toolbox – Missenden Railway Modellers

Underneath, I provided a pdf list of a range of tool suppliers. My tools are geared to 4mm (P4) modelling.

If you have time to while away, you might like to browse the rest of the virtual Weekend's content:

Virtual Missenden – Autumn 2020 – Missenden Railway Modellers