Hello from Scotland

Philc

Hi, Phil Cowling here! I'm sure some of you will remember my name and have wondered if I'd either dropped off the scene completely or done something else - it's the latter!
When living in Essex, I met Chris, now my wife. She's Scottish and wanted to return home, so as I'd got no ties in Essex, I moved north and she followed. We've been living in a rented house just outside Lanark, but have just recently bought and moved in to a house near Larkhall in South Lanarkshire. This gives me a room that will, in time, be my modelling room, but first I have to empty lots of cardboard boxes! Between us, Chris and I have two and half houses so unpacking boxes and rationalising in to one house I'd the first priority, but then setting up my modelling bench and starting modelling again is my second priority! It's good to be settled and back!

Philc

So, don't know where to write any posts, so I'll start here for now.

A little bit of history. My wife and I moved to Scotland in February 2018. Originally we lived in Edinburgh for a year, then moved to a village, Carmichael, in the upper Clyde Valley. These were both rented properties, we were looking at doing a self build (it didn't happen, another story) and we were evicted from Carmichael. As we couldn't find a further rental property we bought a static caravan and lived in it for 6 months. During this time, Ukraine happened and the costs of materials for a house rocketed through the roof and we couldn't do the self build. So we decided to buy a house which is where we are now.

Shortly after buying the house, my wife lost her job (she has another now) but life had been very traumatic and unstable, and modelling was not something I had inclination to do. Fortunately, we're now settled and I'm feeling very positive and actually wanting to get back to modelling, and it's a wonderful feeling.

I have three modelling interests. The main interest is BR (GER) and I have some ideas for a layout. My second and third interests are BR(Midland) and industrial.

When I moved to Scotland, I contacted Dave Franks and went along to Scottish Region Study Group. It's in their clubroom that he has Wharfeside and this piqued my BR(M) interest. I have a Britannia 70053 that runs on the layout. I also have an 8F which will be running in the next day or two.

So, what now? Well, I'm still having to sort out the contents of 2 1/2 houses and unpack boxes. I also have to restart setting up my workbench. An example of this - I have found my soldering iron, flux etc., but I can't find my magnifying headband (although I have found the alternative lenses!) and I need to throw away my dried up superglue and buy new supplies. So, slowly but surely I'm restarting my modelling and will provide updates as and when something happens!

Good to see you getting back in the saddle. It's taken me a while too so I understand the processes you've been going through!

Davy.