Hi to all from Essex

Steve W

Hello there, thanks for allowing me in.
I hope my confession to liking steam locos and red ones at that won't get me thrown out straight away!
I will attempt to curry favour however by saying that my favourite diesel locos are the Brush A-1-A A-1-A becuse it was second TT gauge loco I owned and also the Western Hydraulic because one took me and my family on our first holiday to Torquay out of Paddington .
I'm currently building live steam, gauge one locos, does that count as railway modelling? No fine detail, emphasis on operation.They probably look ok from 10 yards or more away!
However, I am really keen on building a line in the garden and having something for them to pull
and after obtaining several of David Jenkinson's books including his carriage modelling masterpiece, I am determined to attempt to build some stock out of something other than metal and without the use of machine tools. (Well, perhaps a little bit of machine toolery).
I saw some of the beautiful work done so far by some of the members and this gave me the inspiration to make a start.
I read with interest some of the comments in the Gauge 1 section and found myself in agreement with a lot that was said there about scales and gauges, finescale and whatever it is that the G1MRA currently advocates.
So I aim to start making some carriages following DJ's methods more or less to the letter, but I want to investigate the use of simple press tools to make the window cut outs, perhaps at least to use a punch to make the corners, as I see that would be the hardest part for someone used to using a lathe to make round things! I'll post some pictures if I deem them of sufficient interest. I don't expect my efforts to be up to the standards of some of the people on this site but I can try.
Attached pic of 4F and Tilbury tank in progress. I never seem to get round to painting despite being an Industrial Paint chemist by training!
4F and Tilbury part built.JPG
The coach by the way is from a JH Jubb kit which was a joy to build despite being very old and got from a boot fair for a fiver.
So locos, carriages, wagons and possibly some track, but buildings, landscapes and scenery are just beyond me!
All the best
Steve

Attachments

• 4F and Tilbury part built.JPG
    4F and Tilbury part built.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 2

adrian

Flying Squad
Hello there, thanks for allowing me in.
I hope my confession to liking steam locos and red ones at that won't get me thrown out straight away!

I'm currently building live steam, gauge one locos, does that count as railway modelling? No fine detail, emphasis on operation.They probably look ok from 10 yards or more away!

Welcome Steve - more of the live steam build would be very welcome. Most definitely railway modelling in my book, at least you are using a prototypical power source!

Simon

Flying Squad
Brilliant to have a live steam Gauge One-er here:thumbs:

Steam is definitely on my radar, despite all my other stuff and I also hope to graduate to carriages and am thinking of David Jenkinson's methods too, so look forward to seeing your progress. I even have a lathe I really ought to get to know better:rolleyes:

Welcome to Western Thunder!!

Simon

Colin M

Western Thunderer
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum. Your models look the part to me; more pics will be very welcome!

Colin

Gary Hinson

welcome Steve from another new member, i have only been contributing for a few days, but have already learnt not to mention blue or green.

Gary

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
welcome Steve from another new member, i have only been contributing for a few days, but have already learnt not to mention blue or green.

Gary

BLUE is good, Green is pants
You can mention blue, just do it quietly and hope that the blue brigade are asleep...

How dare you mention the hallowed colour and not expect us to notice even though you didn't do it right I
have graciously corrected it for you

Welcome to here!!!
nor blue or green

Har har not yet but still tryingRealOrModel_small.jpg

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. Glad you like diesel hydraulics:thumbs:.

Looks like some very nice modelling. Look forward to seeing some more pics of progress in your new thread build:D

Rob:)