Home made static grass applicator

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
I found this via Youtube yesterday....

This is part one, which deals with the body of the applicator (and is obviously better engineered than the "tea strainer" versions built by some people).

The electrical side of things is covered in part two....

Regards

Dan

Last edited:

John K

Western Thunderer
I made a similar one a few years ago.
It works well - half of our club have used it now.
John

adrian

Flying Squad
I found this via Youtube yesterday
Thanks for that I have been looking at getting one for grass and trees, but now looking at making one as it doesn't seem that difficult.

I made a similar one a few years ago.
Can you remember what spec of high voltage generator you used? or where you sourced it from?

Looking on ebay there are lots of 4-6Kv ones and a few at 15-20Kv. Given that it's for 2mmFS and I'm only going to be using quite short fibres then do you think the 4-6Kv would be sufficient, although it's only a few pounds more for the 15-20Kv version - can the HF voltage be too high?

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Can you remember what spec of high voltage generator you used? or where you sourced it from?

Looking on ebay there are lots of 4-6Kv ones and a few at 15-20Kv. Given that it's for 2mmFS and I'm only going to be using quite short fibres then do you think the 4-6Kv would be sufficient, although it's only a few pounds more for the 15-20Kv version - can the HF voltage be too high?

I'd have thought that as you are currently building in 2mmFS but there is a bit of Scale7 in the pipeline, the higher voltage would be the one to go for.

Just checked the Greenscenes website and the 'Flock It' applicator uses a 15 kV generator (you get 18kV if connected to a 12v supply rather than a 9v battery). I've applied short <2mm fibres without issue with a 'Flock It', at that length I find the holes in the mesh to be the problem - too big so too many fibres fall through and I can't get the results I want.

The playing around with it is good fun :)
Steve