Ian's Workshop, G&SWR 'Auld Bogie' in S7

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Hi Ian, your G&SWR locos are inspirational, thanks for posting. Could you point me to sources of information for G&SWR loco and rolling stock drawings and photos?
Cheers
Simon

Simon.

Thanks for your kind words, I have been building Sou’West models for a long time. My first was in 00 from a W Hardin Osborne ‘sketch’ in Railway modeller which worked but was completely wrong dimension and detail wise. I was put on the correct path by the then chairman of the G&SWR Association who gave me better drawings and photos.

Now, where possible, I use a GA drawing, and Willie Stewart modellers drawings from the Association collection. As for GAs not all classes have survived and some only partially, the NRM has quite a lot already digitised in the OPC collection and easily obtained. The Assn drawings are good in that they leave off all the internal detail making outlines easier to follow but the GA let’s me check sizes and get the less visible bits more correct than just a guess! The whole collection of modellers drawing, locos, wagons coaching stock, is available from the Assn on cd or flash drive.

The G&SW was off the beaten track, certainly for most photographers so there aren’t a lot around but I have been collected photos since I started modelling and now have as good a collection as any. There is also the Assn collection which is available to members which also includes access to the Scottish photo archive held by the NRM. Pm me if you are interested and I can let you have membership info.

Ian.