Introducing Myself (7mm SECR)

Jack

Hello!

I've just signed up here so I can follow the progress of certain projects which were previously on a different forum and hopefully make some helpful and encouraging comments.

I'm into 7mm modelling, but not WR, which I do in 4mm. I took up 7mm so I could start an SECR layout in all its Edwardian glory. Progress has been typically slow so I have decided to focus on stock first, the layout will come later ... when and if it does I'm sure i'll find a dusty corner to post some pics ... until someone starts the SECR 7mm forum ;)

28ten

Guv'nor
Introducing Myself

Hello Jack :wave: welcome.
SECR in full pre-grouping is quite something! I am sure we would all like to see what you have been up to as above all else we do like pictures 4mm or 7mm :llol:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Introducing Myself

28ten said:
Hello Jack :wave: welcome.
SECR in full pre-grouping is quite something! I am sure we would all like to see what you have been up to as above all else we do like pictures 4mm or 7mm :llol:
Absolutely, welcome Jack :D
Phill :wave:

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Introducing Myself

Jack said:
I'm into 7mm modelling, but not WR, which I do in 4mm.
Hi Jack, don't worry too much about the exact parameters of this Forum... it's main focus is Western Region, and so far most of us just happen to model that in 7mm - so some 4mm stuff is welcome!!... but some of us are into all sorts of other railway subjects as well
innocent0009.gif
, so feel free to join in, and welcome aboard! :wave:

Jack

Introducing Myself

Thanks chaps.

My modelling speed makes most geology look brisk, but hopefully there will be something in the not too distant future!

I still have my 4mm WR dairy layout which i built for the RMWeb comp. As soon as its warm enough to re-enter the garage it will hopefully gain a new fiddle yard and work can start again. The last one was a bit on the small side. Some of the scenery was a bit rushed too, so I'm planning on a bit of a strip down of the foliage ...

... that is of course, unless the call of 7mm wagon kits doesn't beckon first!

28ten

Guv'nor
Introducing Myself

Jack said:
Which it probably will :laugh: have you any SECR locos yet?

Jack

Introducing Myself

28ten said:
[quote=""Jack"":1njx9hl5]

Which it probably will :laugh: have you any SECR locos yet?[/quote:1njx9hl5]

Yes. I have a model of LBSC 'Waddon', which is a modified Sang Cheng Terrier. It hasn't been painted into Wainwright green yet, but that should be happening soon. I also have a second private owner Terrier, although its an A1X so in the later guise. The only other bit of kit is an unbuilt Meteor P tank. I'm practising my soldering on a couple of 4mm chassis kits first (a comet pannier and high level 14xx).

Once the above are done, and the wagons (mostly slaters), my plan is to scratch build and Aveling & Porter ... as you can see I'm aiming for a micro shunting layout.

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Introducing Myself

Welcome to the forum Jack :thumbs: Even though it's normally about WR anything 7mm is great on here. It will always be welcome. If we allow Jordan and his (no i'm not going to say it) stuff. Oooooh i went all dizzy then just at the thought :lol: :lol: ,then we would certainly welcome you and your interests in 7mm. Hopefully you will eventually see sense and want to model HYDRAULICS :drool: :drool: :lol: :lol:
Rob :wave:

28ten

Guv'nor
Introducing Myself

Jack said:
[quote=""28ten"":3dwsgibe][quote=""Jack"":3dwsgibe]

Which it probably will :laugh: have you any SECR locos yet?[/quote:3dwsgibe]

Yes. I have a model of LBSC 'Waddon', which is a modified Sang Cheng Terrier. It hasn't been painted into Wainwright green yet, but that should be happening soon. I also have a second private owner Terrier, although its an A1X so in the later guise. The only other bit of kit is an unbuilt Meteor P tank. I'm practising my soldering on a couple of 4mm chassis kits first (a comet pannier and high level 14xx).

Once the above are done, and the wagons (mostly slaters), my plan is to scratch build and Aveling & Porter ... as you can see I'm aiming for a micro shunting layout.[/quote:3dwsgibe]
isnt SECR generally considered to be the most ornate of all the pre group liveries? I have seen a couple that Alan Brackenborough painted and they looked splendid. I might be wrong but doesnt David Andrews do a Wainright C and a D?
Anythng pre-group gets a :thumbs: :thumbs: from me

Jack

Introducing Myself

Wainwright lined green is probably the most ornate and complicated one to do ... thats why i chickened out and have contracted a professionally to paint the first loco!However, wagons and carriages are very straight forward and had very little lining, so i should be able to do those myself.

As for hydraulics, I get my fix of those in 4mm where i can have them pulling rakes of carriages ...

28ten

Guv'nor
Introducing Myself

Jack said:
Wainwright lined green is probably the most ornate and complicated one to do ... thats why i chickened out and have contracted a professionally to paint the first loco!However, wagons and carriages are very straight forward and had very little lining, so i should be able to do those myself.

As for hydraulics, I get my fix of those in 4mm where i can have them pulling rakes of carriages ...
Probably a good idea, I wouldnt fancy it. I think that if you dont have the confidence to achieve the finish you would wish its the best thing to do. I have had a few lined in my time and its been worth it as far as i am concerned.

Jack

Introducing Myself

Wow, time flies when you're good at procrastinating ...

... OK, three wagon kits are nearly finished. I've drawn up a cunning plan for an 8' micro based on the Timesaver plan and I've started working on getting the basics together (boards, track, lectrickery etc). No pics yet, but they'll be along soon ...

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Jack,

I've just caught up with this thread and must say as an exile from Tonbridge, I'm really looking forward to your future postings. David Andrews does a very good Wainwright D and in full livery would certainly look the business. I built one several years ago, finished it it BR lined black - as I remembered them at Tonbridge in the 50s.

regards

Mike

Jack

Thanks Mike.

Unfortunatly I don't quite have the space or money for a 7mm model of Tonbridge yard, even though i remember looking at the photos of lined up box vans with awe!

Things should get moving in a couple of months when the bits i've got on order start arriving ...