Trade Lathe fine drilling attachment - Warco Spring Sale

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Hi All,

A couple of days ago I had an email from Warco advertising their spring sale.

One of the many items on sale is a Lathe fine drilling attachment

Lathe Sensitive Drilling Attachment - Drill Tailstock Tool for Lathes

After breaking a few fine drills recently I have been considering buying/making something. When I saw that they have been reduced to £32.50 it was a no brainer.
It arrived today and I have just unpacked it. I have to say that I am really impressed by the quality of materials used.

The chuck takes 0-10mm drill bits and the chuck is a friction taper fit on the unit so if the drill sticks the chuck will spin. It's available with either 2 or 3MT tapers to fit the tailstock.

52851825350_0f028f4de9_6k.jpg

52851616379_40b84037dc_6k.jpg

I have no affiliation with Warco I am just impressed with this particular item. Actually being a tight Yorkshireman I bought a couple of other items to take it up to the £50 free postage threshold. What I would have paid for postage has almost paid for a set of telescoping bore gauges.

Brian McKenzie

Western Thunderer
Rob,
The unit might be well made, but the chances of a drill in the chuck being true on centre, at such an extended position, will be very dependent on the alignment of the taper within the tailstock spindle. While tailstocks can be adjusted to ensure parallel turning, it is not uncommon to find the morse taper socket portion wandering off like Marty Feldman's eye. :D
Small drills will break before the chuck spins on the taper !!

Brian McK.

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Rob,

My setup for drilling small holes in the lathe is simple and cheap. A pinchuck, which will hold drills down to 0.3, and a drill bit held in the tailstock chuck, shank outwards, to keep everything in line. By using finger pressure one can feel if the drill is cutting and it is easy to keep backing off to clear the flutes.

Ian.20230428_150504.jpg20230428_150449.jpg