Magnificent.

markjj

Western Thunderer
That's how I got into model railways.... My dad worked in a shop that sold all kinds of electrical goods including being a main dealer for Hornby Dublo. I can remember waking up one Christmas as a small child to I guess a 6x4 layout full of track buildings and trains. That was it the seed was sown lol. It's a shame my kids were never interested when they came along. I did try trying to get them to show an interest but too many other things were more interesting to them by then :(

jonte

Western Thunderer
That's how I got into model railways.... My dad worked in a shop that sold all kinds of electrical goods including being a main dealer for Hornby Dublo. I can remember waking up one Christmas as a small child to I guess a 6x4 layout full of track buildings and trains. That was it the seed was sown lol. It's a shame my kids were never interested when they came along. I did try trying to get them to show an interest but too many other things were more interesting to them by then :(
My son was the same, Mark :(

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I never got to play with my first train set. It was a Hornby 3 rail with the LNER tank engine and a few wagons. My father and older brother set it up and then played with it and then broke it! All on Christmas Day and not even in my bedroom.

Later I had the Triang Transcontinental set which I coveted to myself, but it wasn't quite the same. I remember visiting a friend who was a farmer's son and he had a wonderful Dublo layout. Something I was never able to emulate, So I became a trainspotter instead.

Western Thunderer
I'm still living the dream, as I'm currently working on a Dublo/Wrenn 3 rail shunter fitted with Markits wheels and their new fancy self quartering cranks. I'm also working on a Bachmann 08 conversion to EM also using Markits parts.

The Bachmann 08 is obviously way more detailed and accurate, but the weight and engineering in the Dublo is more robust.

I see the chap is also using the Gaugemaster hand held feedback controllers, I use them too on my Dublo stock and find they work wonders with slow speed running.

Tony

Last edited:

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
My first railway set was this :D ...........

s-l1600 (2).jpg

.......to which over the years was added to on birthdays and Christmas from not only my parents but Aunt's and Uncles who I reckon enjoyed it as much as I did when they visited.
I've lost track ( excuse the pun ) in my head of all that I had accumulated over time but one Christmas present that all ways stands out was the Royal Mail coach pack and a class 31.
It's all gone now, being handed down to young cousins when I discovered girls and motorcycles but glad I re-discovered railways in my 30's

Col.

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Lovely. My dad (RIP) made me a layout on a piece of ply with a single circle of track and a siding. Grass was green paint, roads and trackbed were black paint. It had a positively Himilayan humpback bridge, and a station. I had a Triang Class 31 to go with it. 1964, I think. The layout became a breafast bar when we move to Plymouth. You could still see the fields and roads if you looked underneath! I still have the Class 31... on the bookshelf.

Cheers

Jan

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
My first 00 train set was a Hornby-Dublo 'Sir Nigel Gresley' - to my young eyes a fantastic streamliner in blue livery carrying the number 7. I sat and just looked at it for some time before running it round it's oval of track on the kitchen table! Subsequently a 6x4 foot layout was built and the stock expanded by an 0-6-2T goods set - the GW version which seemed alien to me, being a staunch LMS/LNE fan but in those days of post-war shortages, one had to have what one could get. I had a friend who had a Duchess of Atholl set and we frequently combined our stock on each others layouts - great fun. In those times everything was so simple, the stock was realistic enough for us model starved youngsters and above all extremely reliable. On the featured layout the simplicity of three rail electrics is illustrated by the ease of installing a triangular junction, and reverse loops were just as straight-forward. Perhaps that is why I enjoyed a long spell of running Marklin H0 in my later years.......:)!

Thank you for airing this Jon.

Roger ;)

Western Thunderer
I think Iain Rice was planning a Dublo loft layout according to a drawing in one of his layout planning books. Does anyone know if he ever did it?
Tony

jonte

Western Thunderer
My first 00 train set was a Hornby-Dublo 'Sir Nigel Gresley' - to my young eyes a fantastic streamliner in blue livery carrying the number 7. I sat and just looked at it for some time before running it round it's oval of track on the kitchen table! Subsequently a 6x4 foot layout was built and the stock expanded by an 0-6-2T goods set - the GW version which seemed alien to me, being a staunch LMS/LNE fan but in those days of post-war shortages, one had to have what one could get. I had a friend who had a Duchess of Atholl set and we frequently combined our stock on each others layouts - great fun. In those times everything was so simple, the stock was realistic enough for us model starved youngsters and above all extremely reliable. On the featured layout the simplicity of three rail electrics is illustrated by the ease of installing a triangular junction, and reverse loops were just as straight-forward. Perhaps that is why I enjoyed a long spell of running Marklin H0 in my later years.......:)!

Thank you for airing this Jon.

Roger ;)
Talking of the Nigel Gresley version, Roger, I think the following will interest you.

It’s by the same guy who produced the previous video. He’s had it since Christmas 1951, I think he said, and it’s still running!

Enjoy

Jon :)

Edit: oh dear; looks like it’s disabled. No probs, just go back to the previous video, click on his user name ‘sewingman1’, then ‘Videos’ and you’ll find it under the title ‘A4 Dreams’. Jon:thumbs:

King Crab

Western Thunderer
The excitement of Christmas morning!
My dad had built a 6x4ft baseboard, with a Tri-ang track layout straight out of the catalogue.
Then he managed to hide it in the house until the great day.
After unwrapping, Dad and Grandad were first on their hands and knees playing trains, so I didn't get much of a look in.
To get more atmosphere my Grandad had the bright idea of sticking the remains of his still lit Capstan Full Strength into the chimney of 'Princess Elizabeth'.

Great smoke effect, until that is, it all melted.....

Peter