Midland Record/ Midland Locomotives (MR/LMS 4F 0-6-0)

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Guys,

I've just got a set of Laurie Griffins 'Indirect Inside Valvegear for MR/LMS 4F' to help with the first of a small number of SECR 4-4-0s with rocker-shaft drive to their piston valves.  The parts look good and the instructions reference drawings and close up photos of the 4F motion in Midland Record No2 and Midland Locomotives Part 4.

If any of you guys have copies of either publication, can you advise me what info is actually in there, please?  I may then try and get hold of (buy, beg, borrow or steal) a copy from somewhere.  It might be useful reference if I know what the prototype layout is and therefore what parts I may need to alter or change to get it to fit into my E1.

And yes, I have got drawings of the E1 4-4-0...!

Many thanks,

Steph

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Steph,

I have the LMS Locomotive profiles series plus the pictorial supplement to go with it. There's a mass of information in there including GA and pipe and rod drawings which pull out to A3 size, also lots of pictures of the motion. PM me if I can help in any way,

ATB Mick  :thumbs:

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
My thanks to all who responded to my plea for help, both on- and off- list.

I think I now have enough info to see how the parts will fit together and what will need doing to get it into my E1.  Not a lot, hopefully!

If anyone is interested in the set my initial impressions hold; it's good value and looks to be a real timesaver for locos that need this style of valvegear.  The parts seem to be open to modification too.  Installing it will likely require some thought though; as with Laurie's other valvegear parts, there's scope for 'adjustment' in the castings to cope with varying cylinder/crank/valve centres and rod lengths.  So there's scope to royally c*ck it up too.

I suspect this will not be last one of these sets I'll be buying as it should also suit my Q, Q1, L, L1, etc.

Steph

John D

Western Thunderer
In particular the motion arrangement will be useful!......

Appears to be a copy of the drawing as in the Wild Swan profile (as do a few others) , doesn't that violate copyright or something ?
  I'll get me coat....again!