Magazine Modern Locomotives Illustrated No. 197

Hi all:)

Just to let those of you who have a bias towards the WR that MLI 197 is all about the NBL Type 2's Classes 21, 22 & 29.

Some nice photos of Fred Phipps' G1 Models too :):thumbs::bowdown:

Some great colour photos of the Class 22's, page 73, 6312 is ripe for modelling by the looks:thumbs:

I am still looking for 6320 - did that loco ever make it into BFYE?

Still dribbling over every page, looking at all the inspirational photos - time for reading later:D

Thanks to Chris/skigod for the tip off;):thumbs:

Enjoy....

ATVB

CME

S

SteveO

Should be a good read - does it have much info on the 21s used in East Anglia?

daifly

Western Thunderer
I am still looking for 6320 - did that loco ever make it into BFYE?
'Diesel Hydraulics Class 22' from Western Legacy Publications says 'D6320 ended its life in green livery with small yellow panels and headcode boxes in situ' (as Jordan says)
The livery register in the magazine also says the same.
I'm sure that I've seen a photo of it on a scrap line - I'll keep looking.

Should be a good read - does it have much info on the 21s used in East Anglia?

Hi,

There is a section pp 20-21 on 'The Early Years - Eastern Region' with Ipswich allocated D6122 et al.

I havent had chance to read much - just skimmed through it - and it's 100 pages of photos and captions:)

Hope that helps.

ATVB

CME

I seem to recall that the photo I'm thinking of is actually of a Hymek being cut up, and D6320 happens to be next to it lying on the floor sans trucks bogies, and isn't even mentioned in the title or caption, which is why it's being so hard to track down....:headbang:

Hi Jordan,

I know - I share your pain - evidently according to the Editor, Colin Marsden, this was a tough edition to put together, even with the help of Hugh Dady!!

There is the apocryphal story of how D 6319 got scrapped, what a waste, virtually a new machine after it's, then recent 'General Overhaul'! AND it was marked for preservation (not restoration as it was in mint condition!):shit: :rant: :headbang:

ATVB

CME:)

Chris Nevard

Western Thunderer
It's probably my favourite issue to date - of course there's always demand for pics in other geographical areas, but if the material is simply not available...

I maybe be wrong, but by the early 1960's photographers were probably more likely to head for the West Country and Scotland than East Anglia as they sought out the final fings of steam which hung on a little longer in those areas. At the time the diesels were probably only snapped out of boredom as the photographer waited for the main event which was steam. Of course I'm probably only talking ball as usual.

If only for a time machne to address this...

It's probably my favourite issue to date - of course there's always demand for pics in other geographical areas, but if the material is simply not available...

I maybe be wrong, but by the early 1960's photographers were probably more likely to head for the West Country and Scotland than East Anglia as they sought out the final fings of steam which hung on a little longer in those areas. At the time the diesels were probably only snapped out of boredom as the photographer waited for the main event which was steam. Of course I'm probably only talking ball as usual.

If only for a time machne to address this...

Hi Chris,

I agree, it was only the more enlighened who photographed 'diesels' (or those who hadnt 'copped' a kettle that day!:D).

I think that you have, by and large, hit the nail on the head though.

Also some may have viewed the Class as f'ugly/flippin Ugly - that's the polite version:oops::D - when compared to a kettle!? No value judegements here, on my part, just an observation:)

ATVB

Hi Jordan:)

I have just noticed that according to page 49 Class 22 - Livery Register that 6320 only made it into GSYE's.:)

Chris,

Yes a Tardis would be useful - for lots of reasons:))

Simon

Flying Squad
Yes, I put "GSYP", P for 'Panel' as opposed to E for 'Ends' but I meant the same. Does it mention the unofficial name D6320 carried, and the fact it was only carried on one side... and which side..??;)

Sorry, I'll take my anorak off now...:oops:

Ah would that be the one for "Red Dwarf" fans;)

No idea what side it was on though, not that there's much difference either way (typical G1 modeller:rolleyes::eek:)

Hi Jordan,

Not sure what happened here with this Thread - as I did a search for others re this edition of MLI, in addition some of the Posts here, are now of course chronological - as I view them now, yet didnt appear - on this PC (but it was playing up/jumpy etc.), v'weird, but that's computers for you:oops::rolleyes::D .

Anyways, just confirming, above, your comments on D6320 as presented in MLI - hope that's all covered now;) .

BTW- No, nothing, as yet, on the unofficial naming of the D6320 :headbang::)

ATVB

CME

Western Thunderer
BIG clue there... or you could just search for my Build Thread when I built the S.B. kit as D6320.....:rolleyes:;)[/quote]

Hi Jordan, :thumbs:

Can you put a link to that thread please ? (Its been a long day today !!).

Steve :cool:

Hi jordan:)

Yes this PC does all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff and for an analogy it's like owning, running and driving a Model T Ford (hardwork at times):D .

I blame swmbo - when she uses a PC, even when she is being careful, we end up with error messages that neither I or my PC expert buddies have ever seen before:rolleyes::)) !

In all seriousness, PC's are and were only really designed to be 'personal computers' and IMHO they dont like 'talking' to each other and as soon as they are plugged into the internet and contact the 'mothership' (MS) it's down hill from then on in with all dross and updates (because the latest version of Windows has been releases with intentional and unintentional problems/glitches and shortfalls - always:rolleyes: ) and in terms on certain elements on the internet well that's just like riding through bandit country:headbang: isnt it?!? Anyways this Netbook is now nearly bursting at the seams these days - the poor thing.

Suffice to say I dont know what went wrong with this Thread/PC for me, yet as always we live and learn!

ATVB

CME