Mucking about in the WT Naughty Corner.

Discussion in 'Talk' started by Jordan, 27 December 2020.

1. Jordan

Jordan Mid-Western Thunderer

I can't post this with a straight face even in Area 51, the non-Western Region modelling section of the Forum, so here will have to do - a little bit of light-hearted sillyness on my US-outline O scale layout.
    Knickers to Realism for a bit, let's have some fun!!! :p :drool:

2. Allen M

Allen M Western Thunderer

I thought all US trains danced about like that and I why they used bogie stock from the earliest days of the rail road. :rant::)
    Regards
    Allen Morgan

3. Osgood

Osgood Western Thunderer

:rolleyes: You may need a pair of these:

Rerailing Ramps 1.jpeg

Dog Star likes this.
  4. Jordan

That's partly the point - I don't!! It all stays on the rails. :)

Dog Star, AJC and adrian like this.
  5. Jordan

Not quite as Silly as the previous videos, but tiny O Scale layouts are at least Slighty Silly, aren't they? ;)
    Today I blew the dust off & had a play on my small O Scale shunty-plank "Lyddlow Goods" layout, all 4ft8inch of it, including fiddle-stick....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a very simple layout, built for a relaxing half-an-hour or so of pottering about with a loco & a few wagons. After all, everyone who starts in O Scale claims that's all the stock they'll need. Yeah, right, don't be silly..... [​IMG]

6. Roger Pound

Roger Pound Western Thunderer

Regarding the high speed video - I thought it was just an example of 'better standard' typical American track.... :oops:!- Now I think I should be heading for the naughty corner.......;)!

Roger.

7. Jordan

Yes, off you go. As punishment you can watch this video, and COUNT THE CARS as well. :p

Several US mainline trains of 100+ cars each, axle loads of about 25 tons, and nary a sway or shimmy in sight. Double-stack container trains put the feeble British loading gauge in perspective, too. :)

8. 76043

76043 Western Thunderer

Very impressive tanker train and line speed, but this is where I'm glad to model a UK wagonload freight train consisting of one wagon and a brake van. Not only is it massively shorter, it's a hell of a lot cheaper too! :D
    Tony

Alan and Jordan like this.
  9. Yorkshire Dave

Yorkshire Dave Western Thunderer

Excellent - Just what the doctor ordered.

Nice bit of fillum. Noticed all the trains had helper units on the rear.

If you had double track and sound you could do this....:D. I wish our trains had either Nathan or Leslie 5 chime horns rather than the feeble bee-barp!

richard carr, Jordan and michl080 like this.
  10. Roger Pound

Roger Pound Western Thunderer

Sorry, ran out of fingers after ten........:D

Roger

michl080 likes this.
  11. 76043

76043 Western Thunderer

If that was in the UK can you imagine the look on the Signaller's face? :eek:

I recall spending one night in the Kingman Hotel, Arizona and getting very little sleep because the sound of the US loco horns kept us awake all night, the drivers didn't seem to know the meaning of short and snappy. :( I am very happy we have the BR bee-barp here, it's much more polite.

Tony

12. Jordan

They are only following the rules for train horns at grade (level) crossings. It's to give ample and adequate warning - don't forget many crossings in the US are ungated, and despite those that are gated there is a distinct "must beat the train" culture* among road users in the US, as they don't want to sit at a crossing for 10 minutes due to the length of trains. A 'polite' (a.k.a. feeble) "beep-barp" just isn't going to cut it.

*It's similar to the "must get in front of the lorry" culture that car drivers have here, but don't get me started on that!! :rolleyes: :rant:

13. 76043

76043 Western Thunderer

I do agree the loco drivers have no choice and are following the rules, totally the right thing to do, I just couldn't live near it. :)

I'm reminded of the Norfolk Merc driver recently trying to beat the train here. Upon leaving the golf club he found that a J15 comes off way better.

Wagonman likes this.
  14. Jordan

What I like about the video Dave posted above, is that the second train crew blow for the crossing even though the first train was already on it.
    Rules is rules. ;) :thumbs:

76043 likes this.
  15. Peter

Peter Western Thunderer

Hi,

400+, no axle load of 25 tons and no double stacking!!!

2' gauge with 400+ cars : Australian Railways - YouTube

Regards,

Peter

76043 likes this.
  16. Osgood

Osgood Western Thunderer

mickoo likes this.
  17. Jordan

None, unfortunately!!! :(

18. Osgood

Osgood Western Thunderer

If they all have the higher rated engines there's 430,000 hp in that line of locomotives (approx 60 in view and another 40 out of shot).
    I'm struggling to work out how long the train (sorry - consist) might be if it were feasible to make use of all that power.

19. simond

simond Western Thunderer

I suspect the coupling stretch might make it a bit longer...

Osgood likes this.
  20. Big Train James

Big Train James Western Thunderer

Well, in the Colorado and Nebraska area, the unit coals trains these locos pulled would most often utilize three units. The average unit coal train was +/-115 cars, 100 tons lading per each, let's call them 55' per car, so about 6500' per train if you include the power. My math says that's about 215,000' of train, or about 40 miles.

I don't think it would be hard to find 33 trains of coal hoppers at any given time, at least prior to the downturn in coal usage here in the states.

simond and Osgood like this.