New 7mm Scale Society

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
I got it at a Sunday brocante (boot fair) in Brittany during our very brief summer holiday in July.

it has a curious anchor stamped into it. It gets a damn good hold on small stuff, midget widgets & the like, it has some curious forms, presumably to hold specific types of widget, and I’ve no idea what it was made for . Suggestions on a postcard please (or here, if Mark doesn’t object)

atb
Simon

I had a feeling I'd seen one of these tools before and having gone through my various books on old tools I found a similar tool in this book which is basically a reprint of an old catalogue from 1845 for Richard Timmins & Sons of Birmingham.
Your widget holders, Simon, are otherwise known as slide plyers.

Victorian Tool Cat..png Plate 161.png

Col.

JasonD

Western Thunderer
Thanks Ian! Number 1 CN loco is an EMD SD70M-2, the entrance door panel to the left of the headlight makes the whole nose area seem to rise up compared with General Electric's wide-nose diesels.

Number 3's another SD70M-2 (the sticking-out grille section on the Vermont Rly pictured below is the same) and number 2 diesel is a GE 6-axle loco, the radiator edge panel in the gloom suggests a Dash-9, but it's a bit 'thin' and the cab door window is a bit small and rounded, so it could be an ex-Union Pacific C40-8 rebuilt and repainted by CN in late 2013.

RailPictures.Net Photo: VTR 431 Vermont Railway EMD SD70M-2 at Ludlow, Vermont by Owen Miller

I plan to have a Vermont Rly switcher interchanging on my Delaware & Hudson RR layout. What a hobby!!

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks Col,

it is indeed very like the left hand one of the three “slide plyers” top right.

As Giles hints, jewellery trade perhaps?

A couple of the lads in tonight’s “beer & bollocks” web conference suggested it might be for crimping hose clamps, but I’m unconvinced. The slide ring does allow the plyers to get a ferocious grip in thin material, so much so that I’m sure this purpose must have been in the designer’s mind.

atb
Simon

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Hi Jason,

This earlier shot might help. I've adjusted the exposure to allow for more detail in the shadows.

Second loco is 2816. Third is 8848.

Ian

Last edited:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
CN 2816 is a ES44AC

CN classifies it as a EF-644n which I understand means 6 axle 4400 hp and order batch n, CN use letters to define order batches, 'a' being the first. No idea what EF stands for (I should know, maybe even did, but it's escaped me right now), it's written somewhere I'm sure....

Last edited:

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
As Giles hints, jewellery trade perhaps?

A couple of the lads in tonight’s “beer & bollocks” web conference suggested it might be for crimping hose clamps, but I’m unconvinced. The slide ring does allow the plyers to get a ferocious grip in thin material, so much so that I’m sure this purpose must have been in the designer’s mind.

atb
Simon

Considering the age of the design I would have said either as Giles hints, jewellery or one of the metalsmiths trades, silver, tin etc.
I would certainly make use of a pair.

Col.

JasonD

Western Thunderer
Mick beat me to it. OK, OK, I don't believe it now, but I missed the line under the pics with the road numbers :eek: . Anyway, rrpicturearchives.net helped me spend a happy half hour before bed. It's a GE, the overhanging radiator section is different from anything EMD has put there. It's got a mix of mesh panels and quite a tall edge-panel on that section, so it's got a bigger motor to cool, so it's not a C40-8 like I started to favour at first, it's later. The number 6 we can see is on the radiator end-panel, not the carbody end panel. That rules out -8 and -9s, so now there's just the 3 ES and ET types. The ET44AC is totally different in the grilles under the radiator section, so it's an ES44DC or AC. The handrail stanchions on the raised walkway coming out of the cab are heavier and fixed differently, so its an ES44AC.

Or I could have read the caption. I had more fun!

CN 2816
CN 2806

Goodnight!
Jason

SimonT

Western Thunderer
You lot are totally hopeless. This is a thread intended to discuss the founding of a highly important O Gauge modelling organisation, a topic of such importance that people are falling out over the perceived rights and wrongs of such an action. And all you lot can do is find the nearest rabbit hole to dive into so that you can discuss ancient tools, the location of a photograph in North America and Canadian locomotive nomenclature.

What a complete shower. Magnificent!

Simon

Giles

Western Thunderer
I think it fair to say there has been no falling-out here.... Everyone seems quite civilised. Disagreement, perhaps.

Possibly the problem is that what has been presented appears to be in substance another closed forum, duplicating what can be found on others, whilst not providing any other substantive benefits, either to the individual or the hobby. I may have misinterpreted, but I can only find the one page to read.

PR wise, it might help if people could see inside the forum, but need to join in order to contribute, perhaps? On other forum individuals have been posting repeatedly how marvellous and how refreshing the new forum is ad nauseam like a recruiting poster, which perhaps didnt help my perceptions.

I need societies to be Useful as well as pleasant, and nowadays that means providing something I cannot get elsewhere, more conveniently or cheaper..... or something. Also, if I find a nice way of doing something, I would like as many people as possible to get the benefit, rather than a chosen few - but that of course is a personal choice.

Please understand I absolutely do not wish to upset or offend anyone - indeed, I applaud any effort to improve anything - I am attempting to be constructive, and simply offering my perspective.

Mods, feel free to take me down.....

Western Thunderer
We appear to have now added showers, brooms and steps to this discussion.

Fork handles anyone?

It's becoming a joke this thread.

Tony