7mm Wenford Dries - BR Blue (renamed thread)

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
Are all your clay hoods Skytrex ones ?.

Rob, hi - Yes I have 4 Skytrex hoods...I realised this week that they shouldn't really have the hoods on for Wenfordbridge dries :confused: I will remove one and see how it looks...I believe I have seen somewhere that someone modified a Slaters 5 Plank to make a UCV and it looked cracking...:)

I have always liked this idea, and thought it a shame when you stopped. It would make sense to start with this, and then use it as a test track/photo setting for other stock when you start to build/acquire it.

Thanks Simon - That's the new plan...I can learn how to make 7mm track, get a few things running and have a go at building/butchering some rolling stock too...a model of 37175 in large logo blue after it was transferred down from Eastfield would be wonderful...even if too heavy for the branch...

Hi Pete :)
If you are looking to do Lima MK1 conversions, you should have a look at Ross's thread here http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/br-mk1-limabuild-coaches.32/ (if you haven't already seen it ):) ........I particularly like the method Ross used to widen them, rather than the usual method of slicing them down the middle :thumbs:

Hi Phill - Thanks for this - Yes I have seen that and indeed I have had a few conversations with Ross regarding Lima and Easybuild coaches and 26/27's...;)

At the mo I will leave the Lima's as is, try and start the Easybuild but most importantly start the track building...after my next UK visit in August...:thumbs:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
"I believe I have seen somewhere that someone modified a Slaters 5 Plank to make a UCV and it looked cracking...:)"

That be me then:thumbs:
UCV 1.jpg

They are Slaters 7011 ( ex- Cooper craft 3011 ). The Cooper Craft were only £10 plus wheels but now Slaters have took them over they are selling them at £23 ish including wheels:confused::headbang:, still not too bad a price. Better than the Skytrex price:thumbs:.

I look forward to your next up-date on this project Pete:thumbs:

Rob

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
That be me then:thumbs:

Aha!...I should have done my homework before posting that!

Indeed you have done a splendid job on it...and I agree the price is more attractive than Skytrex. Perhaps I will try in the future your method so be prepared for a load of questions! The colouring and weathering looks spot on too.

Thanks for your interest in the project Rob

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Just a thought & I know it doesn't fit in with Pete's minimum space ideas, but wouldn't Bodmin General Station further up the line make a great model in this sort of freight only era :cool::cool::cool::)

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
I concur Sir Dyson look at the pictures I posted some time ago nice and compact layout with 2 leads of of it plenty of shunting possibilities

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
Just a thought & I know it doesn't fit in with Pete's minimum space ideas, but wouldn't Bodmin General Station further up the line make a great model in this sort of freight only era :cool::cool::cool::)
I concur Sir Dyson look at the pictures I posted some time ago nice and compact layout with 2 leads of of it plenty of shunting possibilities
I agree...whilst not for me, I have often looked at it as a layout idea..but usually in smaller scales. There was a nice 4mm model of it on the circuit a few years ago called 'Bodmin Generally' Now I am back on the case using two instead of one board I feel the layout is more managable rather than something that I have no room to ever set up and run...

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
To be completely correct, I am actually modelling an extract of wenford dries...and not wenfordbridge...:eek:

(I mentioned it once...but I think I got away with it ;))

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
Evening all,

As promised earlier, here’s a bit of flesh on the bones...

The track plan decided, it was time to build the turnouts using the excellent C+L ‘turnout in a bag’ kits. These were all constructed one at a time on a board using Deb’s 31.5mm track gauges. The plain track was then built in 60ft sections.

The baseboards are my favourite Ikea Lack shelves (1100x260mm) and are then faced in 3mm ply which I draw in CAD and then use our studio laser cutter (every job has its own perks right?) These are then assembled with PVA to form a rigid structure with proscenium arch and concealed lighting (Screwfix LED strip lights)

C56BCC7B-00D2-43C4-A7EE-93807C902547.jpeg

Here are the components laid out on the DRT during assembly...

AF4FAD65-6E20-46FA-A91A-597072A27483.jpeg

The short track is a program track hence the cut out and will be hidden by one of the dries buildings...

AA9EA239-42D1-4102-A478-5871E5AAB4A5.jpeg

The other end of the board...the track has just been sprayed...

5CF53B0A-E1FD-4A6A-A456-C5791D4E597E.jpeg

To increase length I am going to use the mirror trick...

BA557DF3-99C4-46B1-AD6A-EC133D10327D.jpeg

Which seems to work ok in tests!...

80531656-7C41-4719-81E3-5D743963A4B1.jpeg

Am using my Uhlenbrock Daisy but with a Digikeijs DR5000 secured to the rear...

186C1CC2-FFEA-436A-A640-E0429C8CE55A.jpeg

My first wagon kit in progress...a Slaters BR brake van...

F426C054-77D3-4AC3-8E45-F8E70E2675F3.jpeg

The dries buildings have been mocked up in foamboard...

575E856D-A157-44E5-8CB7-0EE6EE3E0A37.jpeg

Most of the track is inset so I have undertaken some studies...

D64C6A1A-D275-487C-BB8E-46B2EB23C346.jpeg

The front road is ballasted so will have a degree of undergrowth modelled...

E9A96F97-8F1D-433B-BA1D-FB2646F8B465.jpeg

For the concrete I will stop the infill just short so I can emulate the crud and weed growth...

90D50AD8-540D-43BC-B459-96BA6C626EAC.jpeg

I am just starting to map out the openings in my dries mock up buildings...

The layout is fully wired and tested and the next job is to inset the track and then ballast the front road. I think I might try and do this before I tackle the buildings.

The layout has its first invite for Wycrail 2021 so I have just under two years to get it presentable :eek: Doable depending upon other distractions :D

Any thing not covered in enough detail I will be happy to answer. Comments welcome

Thanks for your patience on this one...:thumbs:

Pete

Western Thunderer
I'd be interested to know more about the lighting, point control & wiring and how you get on with the Slaters brake van kit as I have one.
Tony

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
I'd be interested to know more about the lighting, point control & wiring and how you get on with the Slaters brake van kit as I have one.
Tony

Hi Tony - The lighting is Screwfix LED linear striplights and point control is my standard wire in tube to a DPDT slide switch. The Slaters BV kit was my first build and whilst enjoyable, I found the instructions challenging in places. I ended up looking at Paul B’s excellent wagon website for reference.

Thats lovely! Very nicely done..

JB.

Many thanks JB! :thumbs:

Western Thunderer
Thank you, I had a look at the Screwfix website and they seem to do a variety of them, do they do different colour temperatures and do you mix them?

Would be nice to see a shot of them mounted in the cabinet if you could oblige.

Tony

Western Thunderer
Thank you Bill, I have used self adhesive LED strip on my layout to I think good effect, just interested to know what other options there are considering the Screwfix ones I saw have a form of diffusion on them.
Cheers
Tony

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer