New South Wales Railways rolling stock.

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Following on from a discussion that can be found on the Crane Tank thread I have started this thread to stop the other topic being hijacked and going away from the original theme.

Just before Christmas Last year I was contacted by a customer in NSW Australia enquiring about the possibility or producing some NSWGR rolling stock kits. I was sent one of the most comprehensive railway books I have ever seen, its Goods Wagons of NSW Railways 1855-1905 by Ian A Dunn.
So we now have 3 wagon kits well under way they are at the last part of the design phase and should have the first batch ready to be shipped to Australia by the end of September.

I'm hoping to develop this project into a range of kits that can be used by any modelling NSW railways from 1860 to 1950 as the basic design of the wagons changed little.

The first 2 kits of the rank are:
  1. Class D 2 plank open with falling sides or centre door. the kit will build either.
  2. Class D 3 plank open with falling sides or centre door. the kit will build either.
  3. Class A 1 plank open with fixed sides.
All three kits can be built with hand brake only or fitted with westinghouse air brakes.

With the design work for these wagons most other wagons come into play as below the sole bar most are the same.
The next wagons I'm looking at is a:
  1. D 4 plank with steel under frame (under frame is the same as most British ones)
  2. Class C box van type to be determined
  3. Powder van type to be determined
Marc

Attachments

• 3 plank class D.jpg
    3 plank class D.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 70
  • 20191027_233230_resized_1.jpg
    20191027_233230_resized_1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 66
  • NSWGR 3-plank D Wagon L905.jpg
    NSWGR 3-plank D Wagon L905.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 66

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
Marc

I model New South Railways in 7mm circa 1960 so the wagons on your book would probably have all but disappeared. I’d be interested if you did any later ones.

one or two D wagons did survive though the brake gear would have been altered.

John

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I think by 1960 most would have been scrapped the kits do come with both the original Morton style brake, hand wheel brake or westinghouse air brake in order to cover as much time as possible. The scrapping dates for the D are not shown in the book but the last of the 2 plank drop sides (no 8562) built 1864 was scrapped 1962. And there are at least 2 3 planks which were preserved.
I think that the people who put in the initial order model between 1890 and 1930 ish hence their choice of wagons.
I'm hoping to have an ability to swap out some parts so more variations can be built ie buffer and axle boxes. The 2 plank is the same size as our Furness/Cambrian 2 plank slate wagons so we are going to use that as a blank for the 2 plank. The A is identical to the Furness/North Staffs 1 plank that we currently do as a print through shapeways but from September I will have my own HD 3D resin printer so I will be taking all the printing in house.
As it stands from the 3 wagons that will be available in september with all the variations you could build 43 completely different wagons that could have been in operation about 1900.

Marc

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
Marc

Just to confirm they are 7mm?

A few D wagons lasted as ash wagons. I have one of David Peterson's brass D wagon kits I planned have largely sitting in an ash siding at loco.

John

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Yes they are all in 7mm but as we will have our own 3D print facility by september making OH versions shouldn't be a great problem.

Marc

Overseer

Western Thunderer
slightly off topic but does anyone know what the correct rail profile is for a NSWGR branch-line?

Marc
60lb flat bottom rail was common, 60lb AS (Australian Standard) from memory is 4 1/2" tall with a 2 1/2" wide head. The closest in 7mm will be Code 100 from Karlgarin or Right-o-way.

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I have contacted Greg to see how I go about paying for some data sheets and getting the to the UK. I have my eyes on some small locos and the sheets on small prefab concrete buildings. His drawings in Alan Dunn's book are the basis of my GA's for the wagons. I was reading the GH brake van section last night, I think I might need one of those as well.

I have a shed load of 100FB left over from a NG layout that got to the stock building phase and ran out of steam as the drawings were artists impressions not the GA's they were supposed to be. So I can used that up and pin it down to wooden sleepers. Templot is calling but this was supposed to be next years project.

Marc

Linton

Hi Marc,

Most certainly keen on some D wagon kits.

What type of kit will it be? Etched, cast, printed?

I live fairly close to a museum that has preserved examples. If you need any detail photos or measurements, I am happy to help.

Thanks,

Linton

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Hi Linton,
The kits will be as follows

D 2 planks
  • Cast resin body and floor
  • brass and 3D printed resin fittings.
  • It will able to be built with a drop side of a centre door
  • fitted or unfitted brakes
  • Options for 8ft6 or 9ft WB
  • Options for Turton or Parallel buffers
  • Choice of axle boxes
D 3 planks
  • 3D printed resin body and floor
  • It will able to be built with a drop side of a centre door
  • fitted or unfitted brakes
  • Options for 8ft6 or 9ft WB
  • Options for Turton or Parallel buffers
  • Choice of axle boxes
A 1 plank
  • 3D printed resin body and floor
All of the range will have 3 point compensation units as standard
Future wagons will have the same brass compensation units and brakes but will have a body casting with all the strapping as part of the body print in the same way as the 1 plank A class wagon.

I'm looking at going into production towards the end of August. I'm also looking at coaches locos and some small buildings.

Hope this helps
Marc

Linton

Hi Marc,

Sounds great. It will be interesting to see what the compensation units will look like. I have used the Bill Bedford W Irons and liked them.

I am pretty new to 7mm modelling (in Scale 7) but look forward in having a few D wagons to pull behind my in progress Z12 Class kit. Here is the 12 so far.

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Up date on things since yesterday. I received a number of Drawings from Greg Edwards last night. So once I have done the first wagons I'm going to be looking at some PC1 and PC2 buildings, CPH/CTH DMUs and some small tanks. I'm hoping to finish off some of the work on the wagon axle boxes tonight fingers crossed as the wagon etch is now finished.

Marc

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
My NSW crane tank is some way off yet from completion but thoughts are already turning to what colour I should paint it. Does anyone have any info on the colours that were used on NSW freight locos?

Mike.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
My NSW crane tank is some way off yet from completion but thoughts are already turning to what colour I should paint it. Does anyone have any info on the colours that were used on NSW freight locos?

Mike.
Black and filth, usually more filth than black.

A few workshop and roundhouse pets had fancy liveries. Paint was generally reserved for top link passenger locos.

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I thought I should give a progress update. All the etched parts for the 1 plank A, 2 plank drop-side/centre door D, 3 plank drop-side/centre door D and the 3 plank with raves (Shale/wood chip) D are now complete. the 3D CAD models for all 3, new wagon bodies wagons are done and just waiting for my printer to arrive. So the only drawing jobs waiting to be done are the axle boxes/springs and the buffers.
I have attached screen shots of the 2D orthographic

• the 2 plank kit can be built into at least 8 different variants depending on choice of buffers and axle boxes
  • the 3 plank kit can be built into at least 100 different variants depending on choice of buffers and axle boxes
  • the Shale/wood chip wagon is a variant of the 3 plank D with the extra raves attached to the top.
NSWGR D 3plk fitted post-1890.jpg NSWGR D 3plk centerdoor unfitted pre-1890-1905 - Copy.jpg NSWGR D Shale.jpg NSWGR D 2plk unfitted pre-1890-1905.jpg Marc

Linton

Mike.

1034 photographed on the 25th July 20 at Thirlmere.

Attachments

• 5183152F-0DA9-40A4-923E-AAC0AE867F3D.jpeg
    5183152F-0DA9-40A4-923E-AAC0AE867F3D.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 28

Linton

1034 photographed on the 25th July 20 at Thirlmere.

Looks very similar to the Special Green Enamel colour now applied to 3801. The original green colour applied to 3801 post it’s grey austerity WW2 colour.

Attachments

• 1973C280-288D-4C87-892E-865A64121823.jpeg
    1973C280-288D-4C87-892E-865A64121823.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 26