Odd ‘shed’ on roof of agricultural grain store

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Elsewhere on the forum I posted a couple of pics of rural grain stores aka feed mills. They often have a ’hut’ on the ridge line of the main building, I doubt if it serves the same purpose as a lucum, what is the purpose and what are they called?

Thanks

6D4C0169-E8AF-4E8C-8ECF-D21EAB9780FD.jpeg

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I think they contain the mechanism for lifing the grain to the next floor(s) to enable the grain to be dropped into the head of the chutes for bagging into sacks. As to what the 'hut' is called I don't know at this stage.

Looking at this one in Kupferzell (Baden-Württemburg) has the 'hut' and is part of the Hohenloher Freilandmuseum Wakershofen group of historic buildings.

1667671330644.png

An interior photo of the ground floor shows six chutes which appear near the centre of the building. This is a link to a 360 view where you can scroll around the floor. Hohenloher Freilandmuseum Wackershofen, storehouse 360 Panorama | 360Cities

This is a screenshot.

Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 18-06-02 Hohenloher Freilandmuseum Wackershofen storehouse 360 Panora...png

michael080

Western Thunderer
I think Dave is right. The hut houses the elevator that feeds grain to the highest point within the storage building. From here, gravity feeds it to various storage silos. Many mills have similar elevators to utilize gravity to feed flour from grinder to grinder.

Michael

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
The US book, Down to the Feed Mill, labels the ‘shed’ as a head house presumably as it houses the headgear for moving sacks of grain between levels……seems logical.

No doubt, the English term will be completely different.

Tim

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
I think that you might be interested in this Hornby model, I found it when searching for their East German station.

2D170759-1884-4C56-9ABD-84B5D0610F08.jpeg

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Interesting Hornby are producing HO buildings. Obviously based on the one at Kupferzell (as seen today with the enclosed waiting shelter) which will go nicely with Kupferzell station building from Busch.

Kupferzell.jpg

And a 1895 photo I found of Kupferzell before the goods shed was enlarged and with the open waiting shelter.

Kupferzell_Bahnhof_1895 m.jpg