7mm On Heather's Workbench - a reptile on my bench

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
I've got a Southern equivalent somewhere, it goes by a 'General Appendix to the Working Timetables'. Ruddy useful in an 'if in doubt refer to the prototype' kind of way...

Steph

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Ooer! I hope it'll still be available in a month or two, because I have overspent a little this month!

Anyway, back to things herpetological, I've been applying a little weathering.

image.jpg

Drybrushing rust shades, followed by mucky blacky browny shades. Once dry I shall apply some rusty fluid I have called Rustall, which leaves a lovely fringe of rust in various places, and finish up with some weathering powders.

Well, that's the morning done. Let's see, what shall I pick up and fettle for the afternoon?

Les Golledge

Is this the GWR one?

GWR Freight Wagons and Loads in Service on the Great Western Railway and British Rail Western Region
RUSSELL, J H

If so there's one on Abebooks at the moment for under £10.

Brian
Hi Heather,

Just been looking at my copy of the book, there are no page numbers only figure numbers
Figure 113 + 114 are full page photos of an insulated meat container chained to a Conflat wagon, the spring packs includes in the CPL chain set can be clearly seen.
Starting at figure 133 and continueing through to figure 323 are almost all photos showing loads chained to wagons or chains stowed on wagon decking, figures 236 to 239 show a transformer being moved to the loading point and then being loaded on to a GWR Crocodile H (cap. 45 tons) a solution to your problem of securing a transformer to your Crocodile is that there is a sheet covering the top few feet of the tranformer.
It might be worth spending the money asap as the secured loads are wide ranging from various shapes & sizes of timber through girders to massive anvil blocks presumably for steam hammers at steel works.
The book is Great Western but I'm sure the methods of chaining are fairly universal.
To have a look at the book try the Inter Library Loan Service via you local Library, Brian didn't include an ISBNM Number but my copy has it's printed on the back of the dust jacket:- SBN 86093 155 2 I haven't yet found any copyright marking.
Hope this is of help to you.
Regards,

Les.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Thanks Les!

As it happens, the Basingstoke Reference Lending Library (head librarian G. Beare, esq.) has a copy which I can borrow. I am sure to find it useful, so I will track down a copy for my own shelves in due course.

:thumbs:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
SBN 86093 155 2 I haven't yet found any copyright marking.
Hope this is of help to you.
Regards,

Les.

That's the very one, Les! There's currently used one on Abebooks at £9.11 plus £2.14 shipping - but I hope you've managed to borrow the one from Basingstoke for the time being, Heather.

Brian