4mm Original St. Mary Hoo thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
real rail wheels have shiny tyres, so why shouldn't models...
For mainline stuff which sees intensively use/traffic I totally agree with you - but for industrial detritus that moves around infrequently, both tyres and track are more 'weathered'. :) It is surprising how many areas of track (sidings etc) exhibit a dull finish compared to busy junctions or depots for example.

Colin M

Western Thunderer
Superb! I think possibly the most realistic DCCR I've seen. Fantastic attention to detail on the ramp ends, kickboards, feeder cables etc. Can't quite see for sure in the photos, looks like you've fitted hookswitches on the cable/rail joint?

...top notch!

Colin

S

Simon007

Thanks Colin, yes I have added the details you refer to, and cables power the third rail just like the prototype. There is bolt detail and clamps where the cables are attached to the conductor rail. Below is my work in progress class 73/0. There are various details that need changing (like the fuel tanks) to be true to prototype, but it is getting there. The model has working third rail pick ups which provide additional current to the motor bogie. This is a Lima model that has been completely rebuilt except for the body. The bogies are very complex like the real thing with, faithful to the JA, cable runs; it has brakes in line with the wheels, sand pipes, brake cylinders, brake rodding, dampers, correct shape sand boxes, etc, etc. I will eventually add etched body grills and engine room detail. The fuel tank area has also been totally rebuilt and is fully three dimensional; underneath there is a maze of cylinders, cables, pipes and taps all modelled from close ups of a real loco. The loco uses Ultrascale P4 replacement wheels.

M2.jpg

Colin M

Western Thunderer
What are these items please?

A "hook switch" is a hinged isolating link, bolted between the large flexible feeding cable and the conductor rail. (In some areas, such as North London lines they are mounted in large wooden boxes in the cess). When undertaking an isolation of the 3rd rail, the operator inserts a metal hook fixed to a long wooden pole, (much like a shunters pole), into an eyelet in the switch. They then pull firmly, pivoting the blade out of its contacts, thus breaking the circuit.

Colin

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
A "hook switch" is a hinged isolating link, bolted between the large flexible feeding cable and the conductor rail. (In some areas, such as North London lines they are mounted in large wooden boxes in the cess). When undertaking an isolation of the 3rd rail, the operator inserts a metal hook fixed to a long wooden pole, (much like a shunters pole), into an eyelet in the switch. They then pull firmly, pivoting the blade out of its contacts, thus breaking the circuit.
Richard Hardy wrote that he used a long metal pole, one end under a running rail and then drop the bar on the 3rd rail... sparks etc..

Colin M

Western Thunderer
Richard Hardy wrote that he used a long metal pole, one end under a running rail and then drop the bar on the 3rd rail... sparks etc..

That one's called a "short circuiting bar". It does what it says on the tin... creates a short circuit between conductor rail and return running rail, tripping out the circuit breaker if it is live. Same as dropping a coin across the rails on a model railway, (although the sparks are much bigger!). Only the bit that shorts across the rails is metal (flat bar, about 2" x 3/8"). The heavy duty handle is wooden.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Exactly....
creates a short circuit between conductor rail and return running rail, tripping out the circuit breaker if it is live...
Mr. Hardy did not trust the locals to do as instructed so he used the bar to confirm that power was off... :thumbs: .

It was not... :oops: :eek:

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
I have used one of those bars, what a lot of sparkles they produces, it's good to know there is still a belt and bracers way of checking current flow rather than taking someones word for it. If I remember right you hoked the one end around the running rail then dropped the other end on the 3rd rail removing the wooden pole at the same time. Going back to the 73 what wonderful machines hey are so versatile 2 made it to brum ( I was there when they did) at the head of a class 1 passenger train due to the 47 expiring en-route the 73's being the only traction able to take the train on. There was another notable problem with the gat-ex push pull units 73+7 including DVT( converted EMU driving trailer) some thing to do with shorting out of section gaps which caused some fires in the early days, what a wonderful thing the 3rd rail really is.

Ian

Western Thunderer
Thanks Colin, yes I have added the details you refer to, and cables power the third rail just like the prototype. There is bolt detail and clamps where the cables are attached to the conductor rail. Below is my work in progress class 73/0. There are various details that need changing (like the fuel tanks) to be true to prototype, but it is getting there. The model has working third rail pick ups which provide additional current to the motor bogie. This is a Lima model that has been completely rebuilt except for the body. The bogies are very complex like the real thing with, faithful to the JA, cable runs; it has brakes in line with the wheels, sand pipes, brake cylinders, brake rodding, dampers, correct shape sand boxes, etc, etc. I will eventually add etched body grills and engine room detail. The fuel tank area has also been totally rebuilt and is fully three dimensional; underneath there is a maze of cylinders, cables, pipes and taps all modelled from close ups of a real loco. The loco uses Ultrascale P4 replacement wheels.

M2.jpg

Hi Simon :thumbs:

Have you a pic of the undergubbings ?.

Steve :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.