Outdoor planting

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
No worries Rob, I have committed a tray of cuttings to finding out :)

150 cuttings3.JPG

I've flipped the potting trays on top of the other trays now as I think the cuttings are getting too wet and apparently they like well drained soil rather than swimming lessons. We are one down too, it had progressed past limp and arrived at shrivelled. It is now in recycling. 149 to go.
Steve

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Are they Box cuttings Steve?....I've only done Begensons Gold (if that's the correct name) from cuttings & I don't trim until they start getting to the height I want ;)

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Hi Phill
No, they are all Lonicera Nitida, I've four different varieties in my garden but for the life of me I can't remember what they all are :oops: I know some are Baggesons Gold but thats it...
I've found that they don't bush out much from my cuttings so I'm hoping to get them to spread out a little bit earlier on so they look more like the ones I can buy at the local nursery.
Don't think I'm going to need a watering can this weekend :rolleyes:
Steve

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Hi Phill
No, they are all Lonicera Nitida, I've four different varieties in my garden but for the life of me I can't remember what they all are :oops: I know some are Baggesons Gold but thats it...
I've found that they don't bush out much from my cuttings so I'm hoping to get them to spread out a little bit earlier on so they look more like the ones I can buy at the local nursery.
Don't think I'm going to need a watering can this weekend :rolleyes:
Steve

Ah I see steve;), I tend to plant half a dozen or so of my Baggensons Gold in the area I want to fill & just leave them to get on with it until they reach a suitable height :) ........your other varietys may be different though:confused:

Phill:)

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Hi :)

Just thought I would share my latest bit of landscaping at Withercombe as we have been talking about Baggesons Gold:)

These were clippings taken from 'Box Cutting' which were planted straight into the garden, but were dipped in rooting powder first about this time last year......I think:confused::D

20140423_073310.jpg

They are in quite a poor location between the raised trackbed & the garage, but have still managed to thrive.......I planted about half a dozen clippings together within an area of about 18'' square.

20140423_073324.jpg

The tunnel on the left is into Withercombe station area & the one on the right is into the fiddle yard........the blanked off one in the middle is a slight miscalculation :))

Hopefully in a year or so both lines will enter the garage through cuttings & into tunnels with a hill between the two lines:).

I will keep you garden types posted as nature gets on with the rest:thumbs:

Phill:)

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Just been into the greenhouse to give the dozen "Beggensons Gold" cuttings a water. They seem to be surviving ok albeit a little small at the moment.:thumbs:

Rob:)

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Thats grown well Phill :thumbs:

As for my trays of cuttings, status = not dead yet :D
The tray of trimmed cuttings showed no adverse effects after having their tops removed so I subjected the remaining 4 trays to the same treatment last weekend, I've been rewarded with signs of new growth...on some plants :)

150 cuttings4.JPG

I'm debating whether I bring them in for tonight in case a frost appears overnight - the weather forecast keeps changing so may just have to play it safe.
Steve

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Been out in the garden this afternoon. Took the cuttings out of the green house and planted in the garden.

I also did a little bit of weeding around the Baggensons Gold that has already established itself. I took some more cuttings from the healthy plants that are a bit too high to encourage them to thicken up.

With these cuttings.....into the greenhouse , rooting powder and some compost later 24 new cuttings to attend to:thumbs:.

I will probably give them a few days before planting in the garden.

Rob:)