4mm Polsarrett: BR(S) N Cornwall Clay, The Final Countdown

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Do I see an alteration to the hypocaust on the KM dries? :)

Yes, having read up on how they work the dries won't be used as Kernow intended. Apparently the furnace and chimneys should be at opposite ends of the building, not the same end as per the RTP model.

I have coal being delivered at the left hand end, so that's where the furnace will be. Therefore the chimney has to be at the right hand side. The required modifications are being planned in my head...

Last edited:

JasonBz

Western Thunderer
Yes, having read up on how they work the dries won't be used as Kernow intended. Apparently the furnace and chimneys should be at opposite ends of the building, not the same end as per the RTP model.

I have coal being delivered at the left hand end, so that's where the furnace will be. Therefore the chimney has to be at the right hand side. The required modifications are being planned in my head...

This is true, the whole principle is that hot air passes under the drying floor on its journey from fire to chimney - I am not at all sure at what or where KMRC were looking when they chose to model a drier.

Servo mount mods

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Sorted, electricals done.

IMG_20201230_142645_1.jpg

The panel connections ended up going straight to the Megapoints controller. I bought a load of 500mm long servo extension cables. Chopped one plug off soldered those ends to the switch panel and plugged the other into the board. Much simpler than using multiple shorter cables.

IMG_20201230_141636_1.jpg

The other thing the extensive testing revealed was that the spring wire on the servo turnout actuators was occasionally catching on the screw on the servo arm. Minor mods required. A packer was inserted at the arm end and a second pivot hole drilled in the mounting bracket. Annoying click now gone.

IMG_20201230_141651.jpg

Ballasting starts

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Last night I made a not very good start on ballasting. I forgot the key stage in the method... Spray ballast with water before dropping on the watered down PVA mix. As a result the carefully arranged ballast rearranged itself.
IMG_20201231_134744_1.jpg

Much better results this morning once I remembered why it went a bit wrong.

IMG_20201231_134800.jpg

Cracking on...

IMG_20201231_134211.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
If it’s not granite, it won’t go green. I found the black to be too black too.

Not doing any more modelling tonight. Just made the pre dinner cocktail, which was completely new to me.

Cyrus Irani. First, make the syrup: mix honey and water, add turmeric and cayenne. Add yoghurt. Bring to 80C and simmer for two minutes. Filter into a sterile jar. Keep the solids as a marinade or add to a base sauce. This takes hours.

Add equal parts syrup and tequila, splash of lime, lots of ice, shake firmly.

strain into glass with slice of lime.

Enjoy.

HNY :)

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
If it’s not granite, it won’t go green. I found the black to be too black too.

Not doing any more modelling tonight. Just made the pre dinner cocktail, which was completely new to me.

Cyrus Irani. First, make the syrup: mix honey and water, add turmeric and cayenne. Add yoghurt. Bring to 80C and simmer for two minutes. Filter into a sterile jar. Keep the solids as a marinade or add to a base sauce. This takes hours.

Add equal parts syrup and tequila, splash of lime, lots of ice, shake firmly.

strain into glass with slice of lime.

Enjoy.

HNY :)

"This takes hours."

I can see why G&T caught on. Takes seconds! :))

Best wishes to all on this New Year's Day.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
HNY to you too.
I do like this little project.

HNY to you and the family too Peter.

A small, easily transportable/ exhibitable layout in 4mm is an itch that I've wanted to scratch for a long time. I drew something up based on Nanstallon over 10 years ago. I think it was the limited operational potential of a single siding that killed the build from starting.

Pencarrow is a great exercise in challenging myself to try new things and work to a, for me, high standard. Lots of planning, research and scratch building. That takes time though, and lots of it.

Polsarrett has, by comparison with Pencarrow, rocketed along at supersonic speed! It's a totally different approach, using lots of RTP and bog standard Peco, but it does permit rapid progress. It's also been an exercise in making stuff up as you go and not being tied to a prototype or reality.

And yes it is still SheepBloke's fault but I hope to get the same sort of joy he gets from making and showing this type of small layout. If others enjoy this approach too that's even better.

All the best.