4mm Polsarrett: BR(S) N Cornwall Clay, The Final Countdown

Jan 2021 KMRC clay dries get dismantled

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Time to look at the dries as they will help determine what the rear scenics end up like.

Raw materials:

IMG_20210102_133157_1.jpg
2 sets of the Kernow clay dries and chimneys. One bought and one donated to the project by a good friend.

And a few minutes of brute force later...

IMG_20210102_133725.jpg

A lot more parts to play with. Now off to the garage with some sharp blades and a good particle mask.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
So why such drastic chopping?

As the photo below show, the dries now accommodate 5 wagons. Previously the gaps between pillars and end walls did not align with the wagons and apparently the bays were generally a wagon length. Being obviously wrong would have bugged me, and 10mins with the multitool sorted that out.
IMG_20210102_150719.jpg IMG_20210102_150737_1.jpg

The next step is to join all the units together, ready for the additions.

JasonBz

Western Thunderer
Excellent work on the Driers, they look much better even at this point.

Now, if you want to be really fastidious, the top 1/3 of the chimney should be made from brick, not stone.......

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Regular readers may recall I added a layer of 5mm foamboard on top of the ply to build up the trackbed. I also did this in areas such as the yard, under buildings and under the platform.

This morning I have been making up the platform in order to get it into primer, painted and then to sort out the land around it. I was merrily checking setback of the platform face to track centreline and just thought I'd better check height above rail tops.

It should be 3' and no less than 2'9", so 12mm - 11mm. Mine came out at 15mm, much too high. I had wrongly assumed the Peco concrete platform fronts would be the right height from base of their track.

So out with the demolition tools and up with the foamboard under the platform area.

IMG_20210103_130541.jpg
Came up really easily and cleanly - apart from a very thin layer of card which was stuck to the ply. Far easier than trimming the platform!

Platform structure then needed 2mm adding to it to take it up to the right level. The plasticard packers will also give a bigger area for gluing it down.

IMG_20210103_130652.jpg

Capacity for 2 coaches, just...

IMG_20210103_130723_1.jpg

I have included a very short section of ramp at the very end to help hide the edge when viewed along the platform.

DavidB

Western Thunderer

AJC

Western Thunderer
I noticed a reference earlier to Trerice. Another, very similar layout is Wheal Elizabeth pictures of which are here when it was exhibited at Scaleforum and Scalefour North.

in 2010: Wheal Elizabeth
in 2013: 1 of 9 | Wheal Elizabeth | 2013 | Scalefour North | Shows | Scalefour Society
and 2014: 1 of 8 | Wheal Elizabeth | 2014 | Scaleforum | Scalefour Society

It began as an entry to the S4 Society's Diesel and Electric Challenge way back in 2008:
Wheal Elizabeth | Layouts | Scalefour Society

I’m sure @ullypug, whose creation it was, will acknowledge the debt! Nice layout which has since changed hands - there’s a thread somewhere on the Scalefour forum about building new stock for it.

Adam

ullypug

Western Thunderer
I’m sure @ullypug, whose creation it was, will acknowledge the debt! Nice layout which has since changed hands - there’s a thread somewhere on the Scalefour forum about building new stock for it.

Adam
Very nice Sir! The world needs more china clay layouts. One day I'll build another.
I like the fencing. It's going to look very good when it's all done.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I noticed a reference earlier to Trerice. Another, very similar layout is Wheal Elizabeth pictures of which are here when it was exhibited at Scaleforum and Scalefour North.

in 2010: Wheal Elizabeth
in 2013: 1 of 9 | Wheal Elizabeth | 2013 | Scalefour North | Shows | Scalefour Society
and 2014: 1 of 8 | Wheal Elizabeth | 2014 | Scaleforum | Scalefour Society

It began as an entry to the S4 Society's Diesel and Electric Challenge way back in 2008:
Wheal Elizabeth | Layouts | Scalefour Society

I suspect that there are only so many permutations possible in a small layout that includes a loop sidings and clay dries.

The scenic treatment on Polsarrett will be different to both Trerice and Wheal Elizabeth. No overbridges - I'll have a level crossing. Polsarrett also has a small halt front right - I don't think this was a feature on the two other layouts.

The trackplan I've used us essentially the 2013 iteration of my 7mm layout Pencarrow, prior to me deciding to go for something more Bodmin Northy in 2015.

post-6675-0-44246400-1393365655.jpg