Pottery Quay. EM test track / shunting plank.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Thanks for all the likes, it gives one a boost.

We're now in tier 3, so I will build a few more wagons, to pass the time.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Hi All,

Not a lot of progress here in the last year, a chimney kit that I ordered last year arrived a few weeks ago has been knocked up, it's to hide the joint in the backscene. Hopefully I will get around to building a boilerhouse.

I have built a number of wagons and they are in various states of progress, a few will be seen in the following few photos.

Pott 68.JPG

Pott 69.JPG

Pott 70.JPG

Pott 71.JPG
On a visit to Norwich to see my Auntie, I called into a model boat shop near Peterborough, Dean's Marine, they were very helpful and they allowed me to browse, to find some whitemetal fittings for Corona, as there is nothing for 4mm scale per se. I found some boiler room vents, bollards and forward deck winch. I have yet to make any progress with fitting them.

Merry Christmas, All.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Many Thanks John,

and thanks all of you that have clicked the like button. I hope that I can maintain progress in '22, I certainly had a loss of mojo, after my 2nd vaccination.

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
Many Thanks John,

and thanks all of you that have clicked the like button. I hope that I can maintain progress in '22, I certainly had a loss of mojo, after my 2nd vaccination.
Funny you should say that, I struggled with cycling after mine, Just couldnt get going.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Well the wagon building is coming to an end, and whilst doing the wagons I have been contemplating what to do about low relief buildings.

So as a change from wagons some mock up shells have been produced and truth to tell the timber storage, progressed a bit further, than I first envisaged.

Low 1.jpgLow 2.jpgLow 3.jpg

The buildings on the right will be clad in wriggly tin. The one in the centre, to the right of the chimney will be a brick built boiler house.

The windows are on order from Stoneybridge Models and are laser cut to my dimensions.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Thanks Rob,

It has taken a fair bit longer, than I originally envisaged, but in that time I have built a lot more wagons than I planned. I'm still trying to gird up my loins, to actually test the track and see if it works.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
A little more progress on the timber store.
Low 5.jpg

Originally I was going to use wriggly tin for the rooves, I decided that with there being quite a lot of it on the other building, I would plank and felt, the rooves. It was a bit laborious and I hope that it looks OK when finished. Once dry, it will need the ends tidying with the judious use of some sand paper. I will the cover it with tissue.

Whilst waiting for the timber store rooves to dry, I have set about the front of the tin sheds.

Low 6.jpg

Just noticed that, the door openings and the plasticard are a bit above the platform, I will need to slice a bit off the bottom of the wall.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
A little more progress on the timber store rooves.

Low 7.jpg

The tissue has been stuck down with dilute PVA and is now drying, I will then trim the edges once dry.

In the meantime I have been adding the surrounds to the windows which will going in the other half of the wiggly tin shed. This is leading to a lot of swearing.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
A bit of progress on all fronts over the last couple of days.

low 8.jpg

the wood store roff has had the tissue trimmed. Several things now need to be considered, 1st how to treat the timber, my recollection of these places, is that they were almost black. 2nd, I'm not happy with the black and I need to source some photos of stacked timber, preferably end on. I have had a quick look on the net, but all I have found is modern kiln dried timber. Finally, I can't remember, if they were closed off by some sort of gate(s) to stop pilfering.

Low 9.jpg
The tin sheds are coming together, I now need to source some materials for the doors, that will wait until next weekend, when I visit RailWells.

Next up is to fit the windows to the boiler house.

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Phil
This is certainly a very impressive project, lovely modelling. You certainly have been busy building wagons, nice to see so many PO wagons.
You mentioned that you glued copperclad blocks to the templates for the insert track, interesting. What sort of glue did you use as I am interested in how it stands up to keeping gauge. I am struggling with code 100 rail soldered to copperclad sleepers for O gauge set at every 6/7 sleeper. I glue the sleepers with contact adhesive but the expansion lifts the track in some places.
Looking forward to seeing some motive power as I guess you are.
Railways and modelling them is an excellent therapy.....
Thank you for posting and all the best.
Julian

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Hi Julian,

Thanks very much for your comments, much appreciated.

I used 151 glue to stick down the bits of copper clad, holding gauge doesn't seem to be a problem, but in one or two places the template is lifting, I propose to sort that, by soaking the area with superglue in the hopes that will cure the problem.

As for motive power, I have a number of kits to build from various sources and some part built kits that I have acquired from other sources. I have also acquired a converted RTR 57xx, which although out of my time period, will be pressed into service to get the track tested. I hope to get all the buildings paint shop ready and the wagons also. I can then clear the baseboards and set about fettling the track and testing it.

Thanks.

Phil O

Western Thunderer

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Thank you Phil, I think I have seen it in the likes of "Proper Job", a hardware etc in the Weston super Mare area. Sounds excellent value too!
Look forward to seeing the 57xx loco run.
Cheers
Julian

Phil O

Western Thunderer
I had a very enjoyable trip to RailWells yesterday and got the necessary supplies for the doors, on the so far completed shells. Some fantastic modelling, I particularly like Modbury, a 2mm finescale layout. It featured a steam railmotor with valve gear, simply a joy to watch, in that scale.

The day was spoilt when an injector decided to pack up, just as I was about to join the M5 from the A30 at Exeter, I managed to limp to Clyst St Mary, to await recovery.